Bib Tights - Tall & Slim

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy some new bib tights - expecting to pay £50-£70 ish.

Have seen reasonable looking deals on Altura Night Vision windproof or DHB ASV Roubaix.

But being slim/tall - just over 6ft and 11st (70kg) - so skinny legs! I was hoping others of similar build might be able to recommend a particular size / brand so that I might avoid anything that would come up too short or too baggy.

Cheers ta thanks!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Campag Ardennes in large. About the same size as me and these are a good compression fit with plenty of warmth

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... oCulDw_wcB

You'd be a medium in rapha if you looked there.
  • grahamcp
    thankyou - they look like a decent option :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you after warmth or waterproof?

Paired with a good top layer I've never found myself wanting down to 0 degrees if I'm getting a good workout. I'd doubt their performance on a soaking wet day but I have some rapha deep winter tights for that but they're extremely restrictive as a trade off. By comparison the campags are really nice and snug to put on and offer some compression while also being highly elastic to ensure you have free movement of the legs (all tights I have ever worn are similar except the rapha ones which tbh I don't like to wear unless it's soaking wet!)

Another pair which will fit well but perhaps aren't as warm are the santini ones. I was very lucky to pick up a pair when the Belkin pro team folded for 7.99 or something crazy. In a size large, again the fit is ideal for someone of your/ our size which offers a snug fit round the legs and shoulders.

My caveat would be that both items I mention are a bit "dated" but generally i would say that Italian-type brands in a large/medium should fit well.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I am 6,3, currently 11 stone 6, and recently picked up the DHB Classic Roubaix tights in size Large which fit well. Although I managed to pick them up for £45 and they're back to full price now of £55.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-roubaix-bib-tights/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    I'm 6'4" and just over 12 stone.

I have a pair of Sportful Gruppetto bib tights in size large which are a very nice, snug fit and are plenty long enough in the legs for me. They also look pretty classy and have an excellent pad.

They are currently available on PBK for under 60 quid.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Out of price range - but Castelli and Rapha pro are both good for skinny people...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • grahamcp
    Thanks all, I'll look at those other suggestions too. Some level of water resistance would be good, but I'm not expecting miracles and a full waterproof material would not be comfortable I don't think. I generally don't ride if it gets below freezing so a medium warmth level will be fine.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    I'm similar 6ft and 74kgs (most of the extra 4kgs created by beer!)

I find DHB Medium is a great fit for me. It will be a better fit when I loose 2kgs as well.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Got some of the DHB ASV Roubaix bib tights and they seem to fit up long and slim, which should suit you well.
  • grahamcp
    Got some of the DHB ASV Roubaix bib tights and they seem to fit up long and slim, which should suit you well.

What size are you Wilf?
  • Grahamcp wrote:
    What size are you Wilf?

5'10" and 72kg. Medium are snug on me with some leftover leg. The ASV is supposedly "pro-fit" so I reckon you should try large to be safe but medium would possibly work too?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Pay a wee bit extra if you can find a good offer and treat yourself to Castelli Sorpasso size xl - good for slim fit with a great pad.

Peter
  • grahamcp
    Quick update on this...

I ordered a pair of the dhb ASV roubaix and a pair of Sportful Gruppetto, both in size Medium.

They seem like nice kit but they are a very tight fit, it was a bit of a struggle to get them on and the shoulder straps also felt tight, even in a cycling position. Leg length was just about OK, but I think I will return and try the Large instead - hopefully they won't be too much of a jump up from Medium.
  • As another lanky slim bloke I found that DHB were always ok length wise but too tight around the shoulders (straps too short), so after a long ride adds this added pressure on my back. I tried sizing up but body length seemed to be the same.

I got some Gore bibs from Wiggle (on their recommendation) and they really are a much better fit. Quality also very good. If anything legs are a bit too long. DHBs relegated to short outings now.

I'm 6" 3 and 80kg and went for an L.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......