Is there a word or phrase for this...

davep1
davep1 Posts: 836
edited January 2016 in MTB general
...you're on a trail, for me, up on the South Downs. You're riding along, usually on the flat or slightly downhill, so going above average speed but not flat out. You're in a rut, maybe 3-6 inches deep and about the same wide. There's something in the rut up ahead you want to avoid, so you steer ever so slightly, maybe only just lean or wiggle your bum, and the front wheel sort of pings off the rut or gets stuck on it, and before you know it, you're on your arse. What's the best way to avoid it, steer more violently, lean more over the front wheel (or less) ?

Comments

• Sounds similar to a question I asked months ago. about the front wheel washing out, or getting stuck in the thick gloop. Advice given was bunny hop, manual etc.

I'm still practicing the above through trial and error.

But I have a natural tenancy to stick a leg out if the front end is going. Not sure if this will help you, but balance is key here. Have a youtube search of Ross and his leg being stuck out.

Hard to explain, but counterbalance.

And other people may jump in, but i like to brake at the last moment.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    None of that will help with a rut.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Learn to bunny hop.
    Never try to turn in a rut, always hop out of them.
  • Would control not be better in the long run?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think that the word or phrase for the sequence described is'..falling off'; alternatively'..not staying on' is used by the glass half full commentator.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Would control not be better in the long run?

Do you actually know what a rut is?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Surely the phrase is "stuck in a rut" and "going arse over tit"
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Learn to bunny hop.

This. And I wish I'd known it before I tried to turn and ended up breaking a rib.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Learn to bunny hop.

This. And I wish I'd known it before I tried to turn and ended up breaking a rib.

Sometimes ruts is all there is, this is certainty true of some trails near me.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ruts can be good. Get it right and you can use them for cornering, like a mini berm and hop out on thr exit. Get it right and it'll make you feel like a hero.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Ruts can be good. Get it right and you can use them for cornering, like a mini berm and hop out on thr exit. Get it right and it'll make you feel like a hero.

But get it wrong and (see OP's description). My cowardly solution is avoid ruts as best you can, and slow down when you can't.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Giraffoto wrote:

But get it wrong and (see OP's description). My cowardly solution is avoid ruts as best you can, and slow down when you can't.
    Me too. I don't have the skill or finesse to use ruts to my advantage so err on the side of caution.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Would control not be better in the long run?

Do you actually know what a rut is?

I missed the word "rut" in the OP. And yes it is the place I am in atm.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I think the word is "arrrrrsseeee".. as you hit it.
    Bunny hop. Not that I've ever managed one properly, despite lots of un-educated practice.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some of my local trails and green lanes and you have no choice but to ride in one of the 4 ruts (2 wheel tracks and 2 diff tracks from a landy's offset diff going each way!), just a case of picking the least worst!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Bunny hop. Not that I've ever managed one properly, despite lots of un-educated practice.
    Nothing will contribute to your offroad pleasure MORE ....

Honestly.... the whole process is really just how to move your weight so the process of doing the manual (first thing in bunny hop) is great for unexpected dropoffs... bunny hops get you out of ruts and assorted other painful experiences (even as someone said just take the weight of the front wheel) which is how "the manual" starts!

Observation is if you can't bunny hop then you can't "manual" because once you can manual the bunny hop is easy... so my guess your just going about it wrong and also don't see the point. (bunny hops aren't JUST for kids showing off in bike parks...) they are a basic skill (actually 3 basic skills) that get used a'l the time once you have them about how you control the bike through shifting weight. Once you master it (by which I really mean get it OK) you find you just use it...

Short version is learning these skills will mean you not only don't get stuck in a rut (ha ha) but you'll gain confidence in every other aspect and have more fun. So well worth the effort for pure enjoyment of being able to cope with obstacles.

Rather than describe .... you can watch the experts

MTBR have a whole load of video's on youtube including HOW TO MANUAL - BUNNYHOP - ENDO (a continuum)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Steve-XcT wrote:
    Nothing will contribute to your offroad pleasure MORE ....

Honestly.... the whole process is really just how to move your weight so the process of doing the manual (first thing in bunny hop) is great for unexpected dropoffs... bunny hops get you out of ruts and assorted other painful experiences (even as someone said just take the weight of the front wheel) which is how "the manual" starts!

Observation is if you can't bunny hop then you can't "manual" because once you can manual the bunny hop is easy... so my guess your just going about it wrong and also don't see the point. (bunny hops aren't JUST for kids showing off in bike parks...) they are a basic skill (actually 3 basic skills) that get used a'l the time once you have them about how you control the bike through shifting weight. Once you master it (by which I really mean get it OK) you find you just use it...

Short version is learning these skills will mean you not only don't get stuck in a rut (ha ha) but you'll gain confidence in every other aspect and have more fun. So well worth the effort for pure enjoyment of being able to cope with obstacles.

Rather than describe .... you can watch the experts

MTBR have a whole load of video's on youtube including HOW TO MANUAL - BUNNYHOP - ENDO (a continuum)

Thanks for the info. I've looked at those videos loads of times, and can manual reasonably well, but never made the transition to the hop, probably on the basis of being too nervous give it a proper go. I've been off the muddy stuff for almost 3 years now, but after repairing the hardtail I'll definitely be giving it another go!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Thanks for the info. I've looked at those videos loads of times, and can manual reasonably well, but never made the transition to the hop, probably on the basis of being too nervous give it a proper go. I've been off the muddy stuff for almost 3 years now, but after repairing the hardtail I'll definitely be giving it another go!

Well worth persisting in my experience :D Even spending a weekend doing little else ....
    I learned to bunny hop the WRONG way.... (back in the days of toe clips) but learning proper technique has really completely changed my riding.

3 years :D - I took almost a decade break and got really back into it because of my 6yr old!
    The advantage perhaps is I'm now a teacher to my 6yr old ... and because when you teach your kid you want to teach em the right way it's forced me to learn the right way.

Are you using your arms to manual ??? I found that's what stops you converting to a bunny hop.... if you do it right then it's almost trivial

Frame geometry makes a HUGE difference on the manual. My XtC is a pain to manual .. you have to really do it exactly right... but I hired a cheap Whyte the other week.... (my frame is at the doctors) and you can be incredibly lax on technique...

HOWEVER ... (outside of the showing off) I find I do far more 2" bunny hops than bigger ones because mostly its simply a situation like getting out of a rut or just jumping the bike a few inches left/right etc. or 101 other little things that come upon the trail. Also I was never confident getting a lot of air ... and now I am really confident (I'm not talking tricks but a 15' jump doesn't scare me anymore).

What forced me was teaching my kid .... but you could also just spend a weekend practising and even (if you have a XC geometry perhaps hire a bike my local at Swinley is £10 for 2 hrs???)