Gary Fisher Wahoo Refurb

edi990
edi990 Posts: 5
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My current MTB is a 2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc, and, quite frankly, it's in a bit of a mess. In particular, the wheels are shot and I reckon the cassette, chain and probably cranks could probably do with being replaced too.

I have very little experience undertaking any bike repairs, but I'm keen to have a bash, so rather than buying a new bike, I'm considering buying the various components and trying to fit them myself. My question is - is it simply new wheels, cassette, chain and crankset + tools I'll require, or is there likely to be anything else?

Currently, I see new wheels at around £100 for the pair, cassette (£15), chain (£10) and crankset (£45), so things are starting to mount up... I don't want to buy all this gear, only to find I need something else crucial or something doesn't fit! Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As its a 2009 bike I'd be looking to buy decent used bits, not new. Ebay, classifieds on here and singletrack world plus see if you have a local bike trader group on facebook.

Fitting most parts to a bike is very simple, you'll need a dedicated bike toolkit, the Jobsworth basic one from on-one is a good starter and similar to many others at the same price point sold for the same money (same kit rebadged mostly).

It's impossible to know what you will and won't need of course, you just have to do some basic checks and see what looks and feels OK and what doesnt.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.