Slowing getting back into riding after a very long break

Iyze
Iyze Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
Also hello! I'm new to this forum.

Anyway I'll soon be selling my old, sadly barely used, full sus bike and will replace it with something in the £600-£1000 range that I will take on a few trips a year about the UK. Won't be doing the downhill any more, too much money in broken bits, but i'll certainly be injuring myself on a few aggressive trails.

It's been so long since I even looked at any bike related articles or magazines that wheels over 26" being commonplace was actually quite a shock! Done a little research and they look like a damned good idea for climbing and riding all day, also might be better suited for me at 6'2" than 26". Anyone around the same height had much experience with 27.5" or 29ers? Also could you recommend some bikes in the above price range, it's a big range because, if a great can be had for less than £1000 then I'll be happy to save the money.

Apologies for the rather wide-open nature of the questions, I'm just trying to get to grips with it all again.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Larger wheels may 'look' better for a larger person, they dont affect whether a bike fits or not!

You need to be clearer about what you want the bike for, it sounds like a mix of XC jaunts, trail centre and some slightly more aggressive riding?

Sounds like you want a decent trail bike, about 120mm travel and slightly relaxed geometry for the more aggressive stuff.

Have a look at the Bizango, highly rated trail bike for just £600
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Iyze
    Iyze Posts: 3
    Sorry, forgot to add what I was going to use the thing for! You're bang on the money there, it will be for XC/trail centres etc.

Might take a good look at that Bizango, be easy for me to try it out at least. Thanks!