Saddle Clamps/Fixings

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
edited January 2016 in Workshop
I've got a new seat post that came with two sets of saddle clamps/fixings. One set is marked 'for alloy rails' the other is marked 'for carbon rails'.

The problem is that the carbon rail ones won't tighten properly on my carbon railed saddle, the alloy ones however will.

At the end of the day they're both metal clamps that aren't that different but is there a reason that I really shouldn't use the ones marked alloy on my carbon railed saddle?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's the seat post? Any info came with it??

Can you tell by looking at them how the 2 clamps differ? Is the 'carbon' one a lot bigger to spread the clamping force better? Or is it for fatter rails (and hence it won't grip yours?)

I thought that you need a carbon specific clamp only for those fatter, ovalised type of carbon rails found on some saddles. If yours has normal sized, round carbon rails and you're not tightening it to the point of crushing them I suspect you are good to go.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Thanks for the reply. It's an S works seat post as supplied with the S works Tarmac Frame. I'll have a look at the clamps more closely this evening.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    According to the Spesh website it "Includes hardware for 7x7mm and 7x9mm rails"

So as I thought; not really one for metal and one for carbon, just for different sized / shaped rails. Just so happens that all the 7x9mm rails will be carbon...