Advice: GT Aggressor or Specialized Hardrock

Firstdmc
Firstdmc Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Newcomer to the forum. Hope you can help.

I'm looking to get back into biking. There are some great canal paths and slightly bumpier trails near my home. I won't be using the bike for commuting or on the road much.

I'm going to buy a second hand bike initially and I've a budget of £150. Narrowed it down to the following which I can collect as they are in sale near me. Here's the info I have on each.

GT Aggressor xc3:
24 speed rapidfire shimano gears. Rocks Shox front suspension forks. Fizik pave saddle. Schwalbe tyres. Mavic 26inch Rims. Recent cables, cassette, chain and chainset smd service. 20 inch aluminium frame in good condition. Tektro cable disc brakes. 4 years old.

Specialized Hardrock:
26" Wheels. It has V-Brakes and front suspension only
7 Speed. Front and back lights included. 2 years old.

appreciate some advice.

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    The exact fork model would help, as the fork is one of the more important components...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Updated info.

The GT has RockShox Dart1 fork and the Hardrock has the SR Suntour M3020.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The GT is the better bike, though it will be a touch heavier. Both forks are basic, but at least the Dart will not start to wobble and fall to bits - and you have a freehub based gear system and disc brakes (even though they are cable offerings, you have all the fitments in place to upgrade to hydraulic if you should wish - Clarks M2 are just £35 for example)
  • I'd go for the GT also.

Wouldn't touch anything with v-brakes these days to be fair.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd be looking for a Carerra, you'll almost certainly get a better bike for the money.

Of the two though the GT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.