Glasses

hucko003
hucko003 Posts: 28
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Possibly looking at getting some new glasses - anything better out there than Oakley Jawbreakers? Especially seeing as they're on a deal at the moment.

Comments

• jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 102
    I have Oakley Radarlock Carbon they are a beautiful pair of glasses i have Polarized/Clear & Yellow lenses :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am not keen on the look of Jawbreakers, but having Radarlock's I can see the advantage if they sit higher on your face.

Do not think there is anything better, but someone will be along shortly to say (probably quite forcefully) otherwise.

Make sure you get decent lenses too :wink:
  • I've just swapped to Jawbreakers. They are no better at avoiding misting up at traffic lights than the Radars, particularly the EV ones.

I like them more and they fit better. They are enormous. They are ridiculous. But they are also ridiculously comfy. And the new Prizm lenses are incredible
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Assos Zegho's. Highly recommended.

I've had Rudy and Oakley's and they don't compare to the Zegho's for lense quality. Build wise they're comparable and they're the only glasses I haven't noticed I'm wearing.

The price is a killer unless you buy them for half price in the January sales, thanks wiggle.

I suppose the greatest accolade I can share is I'd buy a pair at full price.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    Well, they make Jawbreakers look a bit less silly.

What lenses do you/they have?
  • Assos Zegho's. Highly recommended.

I've had Rudy and Oakley's and they don't compare to the Zegho's for lense quality. Build wise they're comparable and they're the only glasses I haven't noticed I'm wearing.

The price is a killer unless you buy them for half price in the January sales, thanks wiggle.

I suppose the greatest accolade I can share is I'd buy a pair at full price.

I've not tried them. But consider them even sillier. But, what I will say, is that if you believe that the Oakley prizm don't compare on lens quality then the Assos must be absolutely divine.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Haven't tried Oakleys, but I have some Smith Optics Pivock Overdrive, and have to say that they are really great. Optics are top notch and the fit is great. I got a really good deal on mine - 110 euros with three different types of lenses. Highly recommended.
  • slowmart
    Well, they make Jawbreakers look a bit less silly.

What lenses do you/they have?

I agree the look is questionable but they work so well and I'd rather have the performance than look cool but then I've never given much weight to what other people think.

The lense is made by Karl Zeiss.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    I agree with you on the performance and what other people think thing.
    Its what I think that is holding me back from Jawbreakers and Assos.

I like Assos, but am not sure they are better than Oakley in the glasses field.
    Fully appreciate your review and aspects of the design though.

What do you feel the lenses offer (apart from the obvious field of vision)?
  • slowmart
    I agree with you on the performance and what other people think thing.
    Its what I think that is holding me back from Jawbreakers and Assos.

I like Assos, but am not sure they are better than Oakley in the glasses field.
    Fully appreciate your review and aspects of the design though.

What do you feel the lenses offer (apart from the obvious field of vision)?

They're branded Assos but the glasses are collaboration between Assos and Karl Zeiss with Zeiss being the manufacturer.

They're light as air, the lense quality is superb, but then Zeiss are experts in what they do, they're hydrophobic and I love the transition from tint to clear I get by tilting by head up or down. It's a stupidly simple concept but it works and Assos have patented the idea.

If you look at the glasses as a piece of engineering and the evolution of the thought process to the end result the outcome is awesome while it's evident that the glasses were built for function and quality rather than to a price point.

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    Hydrophobic sounds good, but not sure the tint thing sounds that great.

I do not want to be negative but sounds like style over function to me.

Do not see weight as an issue (not that super light actually sounds that great tbh ) and surely photochromic and Prism lenses are far better for cycling?
    Why would you want to move your head?

I really like Assos and want them to be fantastic, but they are cycling glasses, not camera lenses.
    I don't automatically accept that Karl Zeiss are experts in the field.

Edit: Have read a bit about them now and some things make sense.
    Wondering if UV protection is a coating though, rather than built into lenses material.
  • slowmart
    At this price point it's small incremental details which are the differentiators and given the questionable looks of the glasses I'd suggest the function more than style has shaped the look! My Oakley's have been superb, robust and a quality item and both pairs do what's needed.

They were a bargain at half price which was the trigger for giving the glasses a go and I was dubious about the tint, until I tried them,as the justification or thinking behind the approach was photogromic lenses couldn't react quickly enough when travelling at speed in bright sunlight and the entering a shaded area. Now Assos referenced the Alps, bright sunlight and tunnels here and I appreciate there's not too many hills with tunnels in Shropshire but I appreciated they're thinking and they thought it good enough to patent the approach.

I must be a minority as I've never seen another pair being worn though...

Desmond Tutu