Wheels

hucko003
hucko003 Posts: 28
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Yup, wheels again! :roll:

I have a budget of £500 - anything better out there than Mavic Ksyrium Elite for the money?

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-ar30-alloy-clincher-wheelset-6279

These are great wheels for the price. They are stiff and roll very well. They are also considerably lighter than the Ksyrium Elites. The only downside to them is that they have a narrow internal width but I haven't found this to be an issue.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Handbuilts!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Do they need to "roll well" and "spin up quickly"
    How about "responsive" when "climbing hard"?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Handbuilt H Son Plus Archetypes with the best hubs you can afford and an appropriate spoke count for your weight. Could cost way under budget depending on hubs. Wheels aren't all about weight.
  • do they need To be "bomb proof"
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Do they need to "keep the speed well"?
  • Campag Shamals or Fulcrum equivalents? Very happy with mine. 5000 miles on mine last year from March to November and I can't fault them
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    "Are they fast" they need to be "fast".
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cmcdonnell
    cmcdonnell Posts: 97
    edited January 2016
    I assume you think you're being ironic and clever? Your comments are not helping the op at all. FYI the wheels I mentioned I own, feel that they were good value when purchased for sale prices with my hard earned money and look good to me. It took me 5 years to be able to part cash for carbon clinchers in the Bora's I own, were they good value? No are they much faster, No, am I happy with them? Yes big time! Bottom line is that you need to be happy with the wheels you buy and if you are then that's good. They all do the same job and assuming out together properly, all are functional. It comes down to what you want to spend and do you like how they look, weight is a factor but not worth losing any sleep over imho. My Shamals were definitely faster by my unscientific measure of being over 1 mph faster than ever before on my standard evening 40 miler. Nothing else changes and the speed increase was consistent on other rides. The old wheels were 28 hole Mavic Open Pros on Record hubs with X-Rax aero spokes, about 10 years old but well maintained and I just swapped the 23 mm GP4000s over. I like how they look and they felt plenty comfortable enough to me but I've never had comfort issues with any of my wheels over the last 10 years or so. No issues to note climbing, descending or braking and for reference I'm 5'6" and 9st
  • cmcdonnell wrote:
    I assume you think you're being ironic and clever? Your comments are not helping the op at all. FYI the wheels I mentioned I own, feel that they were good value when purchased for sale prices with my hard earned money and look good to me. It took me 5 years to be able to part cash for carbon clinchers in the Bora's I own, were they good value? No are they much faster, No, am I happy with them? Yes big time! Bottom line is that you need to be happy with the wheels you buy and if you are then that's good. They all do the same job and assuming out together properly, all are functional. It comes down to what you want to spend and do you like how they look, weight is a factor but not worth losing any sleep over imho. My Shamals were definitely faster by my unscientific measure of being over 1 mph faster than ever before on my standard evening 40 miler. Nothing else changes and the speed increase was consistent on other rides. The old wheels were 28 hole Mavic Open Pros on Record hubs about 10 years old but well maintained and I just swapped the 23 mm GP4000s over. I like how they look and they felt plenty comfortable enough to me but I've never had comfort issues with any of my wheels over the last 10 years or so. No issues to note climbing, descending or braking and for reference I'm 5'6" and 9st
    Buttery Smooth?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I think the Mavic Elites are, and always have been, pretty good bang-for-buck dependable performance wheels. The new one's have the new 2mm wider inner rim width, a 2year year warranty, and are available from 4thebike.de for £300 at the moment.
    The only hard decision here is what to spend the spare £200 on.
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    I think the Mavic Elites are, and always have been, pretty good bang-for-buck dependable performance wheels. The new one's have the new 2mm wider inner rim width, a 2year year warranty, and are available from 4thebike.de for £300 at the moment.
    Never tried them but have always been underwhelmed by Ksyriums of any type, had 3 sets over the years and whilst all did the job fine I was never happy with them. I'd pick Zondas at Elite money personally but that's just me. I do like campy wheels but saying that I've had little issues with my Mavic except for a couple of free hub bodies going but only at high mileage, the campy wheels are just easier to maintain
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've been looking at a set of American Classics 420 Aero for a bike im building up. just about 500 quid - 34mm rims, 1530g a set.

They also look a bit different and stand out.
  • MikeBrew
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Never tried them but have always been underwhelmed by Ksyriums of any type, had 3 sets over the years and whilst all did the job fine I was never happy with them. I'd pick Zondas at Elite money personally but that's just me. I do like campy wheels but saying that I've had little issues with my Mavic except for a couple of free hub bodies going but only at high mileage, the campy wheels are just easier to maintain

Owned both, and rate both for different reasons. The fact that you can currently get the latest Elites for £140 less than Neutron Ultras would seal the deal for me at the moment though. At the same price for either , it would be a much harder one to call...
  • hucko003 wrote:

I have a budget of £500 - anything better out there than Mavic Ksyrium Elite for the money?

Aside from putting them on a bike, what is the primary purpose?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    My Shamals were definitely faster by my unscientific measure of being over 1 mph faster than ever before on my standard evening 40 miler. Nothing else changes and the speed increase was consistent on other rides.
    /quote]

You DO have detailed reports about wind conditions?
  • Thanks for the sensible replies.
    TheBasics wrote:
    hucko003 wrote:

Aside from putting them on a bike, what is the primary purpose?

My main purpose is general riding, club runs, sportive, the odd TT here and there. Potentially racing in the future.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Handbuilts: Pacenti SL23, Sapim D-Light (unless you feel you *need* aero spokes), Novatech 291/482. In a 20/24 that'll be a 1460g wheelset (about 100g lighter than the Ksyriums), properly tubeless-ready, strong and inexpensive. Say £370 or so. Unlike the Ksyriums, rebuilds will be cheap and easy when anything wears out. For your £500 you can get suitable tubeless tyres, tape, valves and sealant and still have a decent amount of change. You could go lighter for the same money (Stans ZTR340) but you lose the wide rim and some of the strength.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My comment is based on the lack of information. The Op ask what is better than Mavic Krysium for £300 well define better first. there are plenty of options but all with pluses and minues. all discussed before too.

the last option would not be better though. the hubs are rubbish and no wear near as relaible as those found in Mavic wheels. the rims a fine though but I would not do a 24 spoke rear as it can flex for some rider (NDS spokes can be detensioned). 28 spoke rear is a better bet on more reliable hubs.

Now there is more info almost any wheel with a wide rim (there are so many) will offer improved ride comfort and improved aerdynamics. For the OP's budget you can afford decent hubs too.

Try H Plus son archtypes laced to DA hubs or the new Kinlin rims laced to the same hubs. They will out perform in every way except perhaps weight.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • MikeBrew
    Keezx wrote:
    cmcdonnell wrote:
    My Shamals were definitely faster by my unscientific measure of being over 1 mph faster than ever before on my standard evening 40 miler. Nothing else changes and the speed increase was consistent on other rides.

You DO have detailed reports about wind conditions?

A lot of hot air blowing from the nether regions of the Netherlands by the sounds of it...