Warmest and most durable gloves

baysixty
baysixty Posts: 9
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, just wondering what gloves from experience work at keeping your hands warm. I commute 5 miles home in the evening and I've been struggling for warmth, which makes the ride home pretty crap. The best pair of gloves I've tried were some castelli fleece lined ones but they split from riding on the hoods way too quickly. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    These aren't specifically cycling gloves (I'd prefer reflectives on them tbh), but they have been brilliant for all but the coldest of rides. They aren't bulky like some padded gloves can be, and if you get some with a bit of wiggle room in them, you can always wear some merino (or silk) liners underneath. In fact these, silk liners and fingerless mitts see me through most of the year, with one combination or another.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/clothing-accessories/all-gloves-mitts/velo-glove/

Having said this, gloves are a very personal preference. By the sounds of it you need something that keeps your hands warm from the off, something like these maybe better:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-all-weather-xp-cycle-gloves/

These have an inner liner incorporated into the glove, but some people don't get on with this as when your hands do get warmed up, they tend to sweat and then the liner sticks to the fingers and can be pulled out of the glove to some extent - not a massive problem but can be an issue if you need to get them back on again straight away (although I suppose not a problem if you're only doing 5 miles)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm quite happy with my £5 aldi winter gloves. Warm and durable.

If they were cold I'd be looking for lobster mitts. (well I do have a pair from Planet X but not felt the need for them yet)
  • Any windstopper glove with separate merino liner. Toasty.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    I got these recently and only just started using them this month. I am super pleased with them and despite i have been thinking i ought to get a pair of liners, I have yet to feel the need for one.
    I have used them at temperatures down to 3 degrees cycling and I have just got back from a 5 mile run with @ 2 degrees C. They were comfortable all throughout the run probably due to them being breathable. Normally I tend to take my other gloves off whilst running after a few miles. They also felt comfortable and free in comparison to all the other gloves I use whilst cycling.

http://road.cc/content/review/139699-gripgrab-windster-gloves
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Everyone is different, so very hard to recommend gloves.
    Ive tried them all, and bottom line is, if its near freezing, no glove or liner combination will keep my fingers warm.

However, a good pair of thermal gloves with a thin mitten over the top has proved an amazing difference. I tried the lobster gloves before, but I found they were too bulky with gloves underneath, leading to loss of feeling for gear changes etc.

A thin mitten over the top gives plenty of feeling for changing gear, but seems to provide that extra protection thats vital (no air between fingers) - my fingers were still cold, but not freezing.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Warmest gloves I've found have been Castelli Estremos. Not cheap, just as well they were a gift, but are comfortable at freezing and will go below with a silk liner. They get too warm at around 6 or 7 degrees.

Seem to be robustly built as well. I've not worn them more than half a dozen times but they look built to last.

Have another pair of lighter Castellis (Leggenda) and it's like they are a different manufacturer. They initially look the same but the sizing is awful (same size as the gloves above) with long fingers and baggy wrists
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Warmest gloves I've found have been Castelli Estremos. Not cheap, just as well they were a gift, but are comfortable at freezing and will go below with a silk liner. They get too warm at around 6 or 7 degrees.

These are the exact gloves I use - but still need the mitten over the top anywhere near freezing conditions.