Btwin Rafal 740

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited April 2017 in MTB general
Evening all, I'm after your expert opinions... There are very few reviews on this bike,I assume as its a brand that is frowned upon / not high end.

Anyway, I took a gamble and purchased this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rafal-740-mountain-bike-id_8314897.html. Got it based on the looks, general spec of components (avid brakes, mavic wheels, Hutchinson tyres, manitou forks, sram drivetrain, fizik seat..) but mainly the weight at 11.5kg for the medium, it's also a VERY good looking bike in the flesh!

I'm riding towpaths, tracks, roads and maybe a little proper off-road on occasion... I'm an enthusiastic infrequent hobby rider.

I know only I will find out if it's for me, which will come from putting miles on it but I'd be interested in the thoughts of you who know more than I? Seem like good value? Anyone have any experience of btwin mtbs? For a mid / low range bike how do the components stack up? Any weak points that jump out?

I know ppl say 26" is old money but I've tried a 29er and it just wasn't for me... Felt like I was on top of a bike rather than part of it and lacked a little control / feedback.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Decathlon get many, many good reviews for their Rockrider range. The Rafal is a newer brand, but they are sole stockists ie they own them.

The Rafal 740 is a race inspired cross country machine. It is steep, fast, light. If that is the type of bike you want, go for it. The fork is nearly £400 alone (and very good), the frame as light as some carbon offerings - add in the spec and this is a steal. If it fits, go for it.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    This ^^^^^
    It's a great spec for that price, looks a very good deal. Seems suited to the type of riding you're doing too
  • I did go for it (should have mentioned that I purchased it in December... Only done 20 miles on it so far though!).

Appreciate your replies gents, what do you mean by "steep"? The best way I can describe it from riding it is "fast", it almost leans you into the bars and rolls better than what I'm used to... But drop the seat a little and it feels perfectly at home on bumpy stuff.

If there's anyone On here considering this, the btwin / decathlon size guide is poor. The small equates to 16" but I'm 5'7"+ and I feel perfectly at home (I did invert the stem and ride with a high seat anyway).

I'd be very grateful to hear any more opinions / info / thoughts / comments.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, steep head angles often feels like that - it wants to turn, rather than feel more 'stable' and keep a line.

Sizing is always like this, very rough. Larger people often need larger frames, but for a given height, your leg and arm length can vary hugely. So unless you understand the geometry figures bang on, trying is always best.
  • Put about 20 miles on it today... Ash paths, mud and a bit of Tarmac.

Bike felt lovely... Goes well, stops well, turns well and generally a joy to ride :D

I don't like a dirty bike so it's spotless again now

4a6d1287cf0f1fda848c056808001c6c.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Mountain bike should get dirty!

The rafal is excellent value so get out and enjoy, loose the wheel reflectors and the plastic dish behind the cassette as well and it will look much better!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

The rafal is excellent value so get out and enjoy, loose the wheel reflectors and the plastic dish behind the cassette as well and it will look much better!

plastic dish does serve a purpose, no need to remove it.
  • The Rookie
    POAH wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

plastic dish does serve a purpose, no need to remove it.
    On a correctly setup bike it serves no purpose, and they often come loose and rattle so I'd be pre-emptive anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    bro in laws bike was set up properly but his chain still went into the space behind the cassette, it also went into the space when the mech hanger broke.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it's good to have one, why do only cheaper bikes come with them?
    If the chain does drop behind the cassette due to exceptional circumstances it's unlikely to cause any damage anyway.
  • poah
    If it's good to have one, why do only cheaper bikes come with them?
    If the chain does drop behind the cassette due to exceptional circumstances it's unlikely to cause any damage anyway.

it can and does cause damage. a lot of bikes don't come with them because they don't appeal to the vain. Friend just broke his gear hanger and his wheel needs a couple of spokes because of the chain. All bikes in the UK should be sold with reflectors on them but they don't seem to end up on the bikes. My chain got stuck and was a pain to get out but thankfully there was just some cosmetic damage.
  • The Rookie
    Never had to need one yet.......at all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    In twenty years or more regular cycling I have never needed one. I started taking them off along with reflectors back when I was in my teens. My chain has dropped behind the cassette many, many times and it hasn't been a problem yet.
  • Bike was shipped from France & came with bell, lights & reflectors... Seem to remember it' may be a legislative requirement over there?

Wheel reflectors will go but where I ride, the bell will sadly be staying (I hate them too).

Spokes are flat so I assume it could catch the spokes realy easily if the chain did displace hence the cassette disk thing will be staying.

Think I'll be getting the same enduraguard for the rear to keep my seat post clamp sh1t free as I'm always up & down on it.

Cannot recommend this bike highly enough so far for £530. Having riden it I would gladly have paid more!
  • The Rookie
    Bell reflectors (rear, wheels and on the pedals if pedals are fitted) and lights 'must' be fitted here at point of sale as well.

Flat spokes arn't any more or less likely to be an issue than round.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just a PITA when one snaps and needs replacing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Bell reflectors (rear, wheels and on the pedals if pedals are fitted) and lights 'must' be fitted here at point of sale as well.

Flat spokes arn't any more or less likely to be an issue than round.

Lights have to be fitted at pos in the uk? Well I never!
  • The Rookie
    Not sure how that got in, no they don't, thinking ahead of my slow typing!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    great bike, only thing that lets it down badly are the wheels and tyres which are ripe for upgrade and a massive weight saving. That alone would get you under 11kg and make it a much more responsive bike
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Rookie wrote:
    Never had to need one yet.......at all.

I have never needed the airbags on my car yet - but I still wouldnt disable them...
  • The Rookie
    Hardly a life or death result though is it!

If you were that risk adverse you wouldn't be MTBing in the first place!
  • great bike, only thing that lets it down badly are the wheels and tyres which are ripe for upgrade and a massive weight saving. That alone would get you under 11kg and make it a much more responsive bike

Cheers, good to know.
    Don't think I'll be upgrading the wheels / tyres untill necessary.... Need to put some miles on it first, can't get on it at the moment due to a lack of time or biblical downpours.
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't say badly - best wheels I have seen on a bike of this price, and often fitted to bikes that cost far more. That said, is still a place that may warrant a future upgrade for weight saving.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The way it works:

1) Buy a fantastic new bike
    2) Decide all the parts on it are pretty good and you dont need to think about upgrading
    3) see other people talking about the bits which they have upgraded or which you could upgrade
    4) Resolve that no, you are going to keep it as it is until something breaks or wears out and only THEN think about upgrades
    5) See someone post a bargain for a shiny new bit
    6) See that for just a few dollars more than that bargain there is an even shinier new bit
    7) See someone on here post about having bought that shiny new bit
    8) Postman rings the doorbell - your shiny new bit (that you werent going to buy) just arrived!
  • I'm getting it out tomorrow (and the bike!).

It'll be bloody cold but most importantly, dry..... Looking forward to it!
  • 31 miles today, ash path, mud, Tarmac, canals etc... Realy enjoy riding this and it's pretty fast (even more so if someone skillfull& healthy was on it,). The bike seems decent in most areas.

I love almost every element of it, tyres were garbage when traveling fast over mud (40 rear 38 psi front) to the point where it was scary. Want my schwalbe smart Sams back!
  • rockmonkeysc
    With that sort of air pressure you're always going to struggle for grip on dirt.
  • With that sort of air pressure you're always going to struggle for grip on dirt.

I know, it's a trade off.

I Like rolling fast and also the efficiency on compact surfaces.... then hold on for dear life on the other bits!

Saying that, the schwalbe Smart Sams on my old bike were great rolling and gave more confidence on loose / muddy stuff than the pythons.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Those pressures are not a trade off, they're insanity.

You'll be bouncing off pebbles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you aren't interested in off road performance why buy a mountain bike?
    That pressure will never work on dirt with any tyre.