Rear wheel behaving like a fixed wheel

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 387
edited January 2016 in Workshop
My old (but still very useful) Powertap SL2.4. has developed a problem: when I stop pedalling the free-hub fails to disengage and continues around, invariably throwing my chain off. This is frustrating and potentially dangerous as I have to pedal constantly and can't properly move my weight around on corners etc. If it where a normal wheel I might be inclined to give up on it but since it's a power meter I'm rather less inclined. Anyone any idea why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it? I've tried replacing the free-hub but that seems to have made little difference :-(

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Perhaps the freehub bearings had gone, but in re-assembly there may be some shims missing that means the freehub isn't clearing the hub body? I'd take it apart and try again...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    This to me seems like a LBS job, won't cost much but they should be able to get it sorted pretty easily.

One of my club mates had a similar issue with a Chris King hub* on Sat and it was sorted before he went home after our ride.

*bearing had slipped out of place creating a squeak and resistance when not pedaling
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Thanks both,

Given I just put up another thread extolling the virtues of a local bike shop, I think it might be time to give them some more custom :-)