Carbo-Lift....anyone used it/got some?

racingzero
racingzero Posts: 111
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi,
I want to remove one of the logos from my carbon frame....after some research, it looks like this product from Canada, "Carbo-Lift" is exactly what I'm after. I want to test it on an inconspicuous part of my seatpost first, before touching the frame with it, but it looks good.
Its $39.99 plus P&P from Canada (about £25 all in)

Before I order it, have any other BR members used it? Anyone got half a bottle left? :wink: Whats the results been like?

Ta

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I would suggest that this is either a joke or you haven't done any proper research before posting the question. There is a Youtube video which shows this stuff completely stripping the paintwork off of a frame and that would appear to be it's prime purpose. Having seen the video, I reckon that trying to attack a decal in isolation would lead to disaster or, at very least, a badly scarred bike.

Sorry for the negativity if it was a genuine question.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • It was a genuine question. I have done my research. There is plenty of positive feedback on many cycling forums, mainly in the US.
    I just wondered if perhaps a frame builder/painter/restorer may have some experience of the product and know where I can get it in the UK

But hey, thanks for the usual BR negative comment :roll:
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    It was a genuine question. I have done my research. There is plenty of positive feedback on many cycling forums, mainly in the US.
    I just wondered if perhaps a frame builder/painter/restorer may have some experience of the product and know where I can get it in the UK

But hey, thanks for the usual BR negative comment :roll:

I think what Ajaycee was trying to point out is that in your initial post you said that you wanted to remove the logo. The product will not only remove the logo but any paint on the frame. If you had stated that your frame is of the naked variety and that the logo was applied to that maybe you would have got a different response. So don't accuse someone of negative response when all they were trying to do was ensure you were aware of the properties of the product.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, I think the main point that comes across in all the online blurb is that the product is primarily a paint lifter, not a decal lifter.

Are the decals varnished over? That would make a big difference on our easy it is going to be to lift them and I would ask yourself: If you end up with a half-arsed job, will you regret you didn't just put up with the decal that is annoying you?
  • Whilst I appreciate all the replies, I'm not a complete idiot in relation to paint remover / nitromors etc.
    However, there is a very clear video on their website of someone stripping off the Easton and EA70 logos from a pair of Easton carbon aero tri-bars. The logos were removed without damaging the paint or the carbon. The result is very good
    My question was simply does anyone have any experience of using it, what results did they achieve and where can I get some from...
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I have no personal experience with this so can only offer this YouTube link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MiILChiMB8 Read the comments for the video which don't seem too kind and also mention that this product is no longer produced.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Lots on the weight weenies forum about removing decals etc.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks NapD
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Ayjaycee trying to be helpful that's what I thought and gets accused of negativity. Better letting people find out the hard way.