Best UK Cycle Magazine?

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited February 2016 in Road general
Coming back to the UK briefly soon and wanted to pick up some magazines - what in your opinion is the best one / ones at the moment?

I bought Ride Cycling Review (quarterly) last time I was back and thought it was excellent, good detailed reviews and plenty of intelligent stories, especially on the pro racing scene.

Comments

• germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    edited January 2016
    I can't look past Rouleur. Pricey and not exactly packed full of content but the writing is mostly excellent and the photography brilliant as well.

I did a spell with Cyclist which was decent but I just stopped buying it for no apparent reason.

I tend to prefer a good cycling book these days.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I liked Cyclist when it started, and the family generally buy me a copy for Christmas / father's day / birthday, but it's getting a bit samey. I too prefer reading a good book, and cherry pick any technical reviews when they appear on-line.
  • Everything you wanted to know, right here:

https://cyclingdigest.wordpress.com
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Just cancelled my subscription to Cyclist as it seems to have got lazy and is the same old big ride story every month.

They had a wasted opportunity with Eddie Merckx a couple of issues back and were either star struck or he wasn't playing ball with them.

I sometimes will pick up one of the others if I'm at a station or airport but the reviews are so biased towards their advertisers as to lose any credibility.

I'd keep your money and scour on line and use the link above to satisfy any craving
  • As a new road cyclist, I'm quite liking Bikes Etc at the moment. I find that some of the magazines talk and review about kit that I'm never going to be able to afford and could never justify buying.

It is nice to have the odd dream bike being featured, but when it comes to reviews I want to read about kit I'm likely to buy and help my decision process.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Everything you wanted to know, right here:

https://cyclingdigest.wordpress.com

Yepp, great site and very entertaining, although I can't believe that Tommy is not the highest poster on the "Seemingly Trivial things that annoy you" thread in the Cake Shop.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Cyclist and Rouleur for me. All the others seem like catalogues for kit/bikes/gear. I still like Cyclist, I know it sticks to the same formula each month, but I still enjoy it, so will keep my subscription for now.

Oh, and ProCycling on the odd occasion, maybe Cycling Weekly on a very rare occasion.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As a new road cyclist, I'm quite liking Bikes Etc at the moment.

I bought a copy of this to read on a flight recently. I enjoyed it, a good mix of articles. I buy Cycling Weekly regularly but always end up a bit disappointed in it. They all go through cycles I think, no pun intended, there is only so much material I suppose.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • What I would really like to see is scientific testing of things like rolling resistance, wheel stiffness, aero, etc.

So many magazines simply spout the same old rubbish like; 'feels really stiff', 'I was flying on these' - tells you nothing.

The German magazines can do it so why can't ours? Cost I suppose.

Having said that Ride does seem to have the most in depth bike/product reviews.
  • So many magazines simply spout the same old rubbish like; 'feels really stiff', 'I was flying on these' - tells you nothing

sounds exactly like BikesETC. haha
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I know this does not answer your question, but you should have a look at an Aussie magazine "Ride" comes out every 2 months
    http://www.ridemedia.com.au/
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    I've preferred Pro Cycling than most though that gets boring after a few copies. If BC member you can get 5 copies for £5.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I spent three and a half years working as a staff writer at future publishing, writing for a car mag.
    So i know how hard it is trying to find new and interesting content that will keep people interested and it does get very samey and repetitive.i used to do the how-to guides and the tech section where readers would write in with a question etc. except you would only get one decent thing a month asked about etc, so the rest of it was me either rehashing old stuff, or just writing about things i know about.

I left in 2008 as i could see things were going down hill, budgets slashed, staff cutbacks etc and im pretty glad i did. a couple of years ago future sold off their automotive section to kelsey and a lot of people lot their jobs.

Anyway i used to buy the odd MBUK, have bought probably 2 car mags since i left and so far as yet to buy any road cycling mags.
    If i need to know something you can usually find on the net or on forums. sadly magazines are a dying trend.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I subscribe to Cyclist but am about to cancel it as it's got a) a bit same year each month, b) very pretentious - see recent article about small cloth caps and c) the ginger guy's writing style is so poor it makes me really angry and ruins a good cup of coffee/mag reading session.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • It depends what kind of cycling you are in to. Pro cycling and cycle sport are pretty much the same although pro cycling is probably higher quality. Cycling weekly is basically adverts and bike tests that are really adverts and a few fitness features. Cyclist copied the best bits of rouleur / pro cycling and cycling plus but is now getting too samey. Cycling plus can get a bit preachy but is generally a varied read. I'd agree that Ride (australian version) is a good read, as is Velo from France.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    What I would really like to see is scientific testing of things like rolling resistance, wheel stiffness, aero, etc.

So many magazines simply spout the same old rubbish like; 'feels really stiff', 'I was flying on these' - tells you nothing.

The German magazines can do it so why can't ours? Cost I suppose.

Having said that Ride does seem to have the most in depth bike/product reviews.

You can get Tour on the iPad if you want testing.