Genesis Core 10 or Calibre two.two

willeymunda
willeymunda Posts: 13
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have the chance to purchase the

Genesis Core 10 2015 for £350.00
or
Calibre two.two for £341.99

What is the better choice i know the calibre has won bike of the year etc but the Genesis seems to be a higher spec bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • two.two specs

Wheel Size: 26
    Frame: 6061 aircraft grade hydroformed alloy frame with one piece wishbone seat
    Fork: Rock Shox XC28 with 100mm of travel and Turn Key lockout
    No. of Gears: 27
    Gear Details: Shimano Deore 9 speed
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera 9spd
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore long cage
    Chainset: Truvativ E400 3.0 170mm extension 44/32/22
    Cassette: 11-34T
    Brakes - Type: Hydraulic Disc
    Brakes - Details: Shimano M395 hydraulic brakes with 160mm rotors
    Weight: 13.7kg
    Tyres: WTB Vigilante 2.3” front, WTB Bronson 2.1” rear
    Front Hub: Quando alloy disc brake hubs with quick release
    Rear Hub: Quando alloy disc brake hubs with quick release
    Stem: Alloy 4 bolt front mount 31.8mm, 70mm extension
    Saddle: WTB Volt Sport
    Handlebar: Truvativ Stylo T10: 31.8mm, 20mm low-rise, 680mm width
    Head Set: Semi integrated style with 4x5mm alloy spacers
    Pedals: Alloy platform pedal
    Seatpost: Alloy micro adjust 350mm
  • core 10 specs

Frame 6061 Double-Butted Aluminium w/ 44mm Oversize Headtube
    Forks SR Suntour XCM-HLO-DS-27.5, 120mm Travel
    Headset FSA Orbit ITA-B Reducer (1-1/8 Steerer)
    Handlebars Genesis MTB Riser, 15mm Rise x 9° Backsweep
    Stem Genesis MTB, 31.8mm x 7° Rise
    Shifters 27 Speed Shimano Altus SL-M370
    Front Mech Shimano Altus FD-M370
    Rear Mech Shimano Altus RD-M370
    Chainset SR Suntour XCT-414PB-SQ, 44/32/22T
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-UN26, 113x73mm
    Chain KMC X9
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG200, 11-34T, 9sp
    Front Brake Shimano BR-M355 160mm
    Rear Brake Shimano BR-M355 160mm
    Rims Alex Rims MD23 w/ TCS (Tubeless Compatible System), 32H
    Front Hub Shimano RM33 Centrelock
    Rear Hub Shimano RM33 Centrelock
    Spokes 14G Stainless Silver w/ Brass Nipples
    Tyres Continental X-King, 27.5x 2.2 FrontContinental X-King, 27.5x 2.2 Rear
    Seatpost Genesis MTB, 30.9 x 400mm
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The two.two, better drivetrain, better brakes, better tyres (cheap Conti's are lethal).....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is there much difference between them because i was going to plump for the Core 10 as i was told before that it was a nice bike?

Also the two.two had the smaller wheels witha 26 inch as apposed to the new 27.5inch of the core ten
  • The Rookie
    The two.two is what mountain bikes bike of the year (under £500) for a reason, given how much under £500 it is that tells you how good value it is as well as being a darn good bike.

The Core is not a bad bike, for proper MTB use though the two.two is a lot better. What is your intended usage?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • willeymunda
    willeymunda Posts: 13
    edited January 2016
  • I want to use mainly off road on some trails.

I presumed the two.two was 3 years old now and as it still had the 26" wheels the other spec would be getting outdated too. I see it won bike of the year under £500 but I thought it won that a couple of years ago.

The new 2016 version of the core 10 is going to sell at £599.99 and I'm wondering if they are replacing the two.two with an updated model soon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The .22 is the better bike. Forget new years and stuff, names - it is superior. If one fits, buy it.
  • Trouble is I've already ordered the core 10 now I'm having doubts. I guess I wanted the bigger wheels for going on trails etc now I'm wondering whether i did the right thing
  • I also thought it had better suspension with 120 travel etc
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not a bad bike by no means and I am sure you will be fine with it. But you asked ;-)

More travel doesn't equate to better suspension, depends on the fork.
  • I'm sorry, I'm a novice at this. I ordered the 19" and I'm 5'10 so I guess I will take delivery today and see if the size fits as I haven't tried one yet and then if it's too big I will return it and go for an 18" Calibre two.two if that fits ok.
  • The Rookie
    The two.two was still WMB's best MTB under £500 last year....

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-mountain-bikes-under-500-29451/

I would expect a 19" to be on the large size depending on your proportions.
  • Thank you very much for your help all of you.

I just found out from the go outdoors team that the Calibre two.two has just been updated and the paint is different and they have changed the tyres and other small bits apparently.

The picture on the website is now the older version and the one I saw in store is the newer one.

So if the 19" Genesis is too big then sounds like the 18" Calibre two.two will be ok. I guess I won't even notice the difference in the wheel sizes between the 27.5 and the 26.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I have the two.two, great bike for the money. I'm 5"11' and the 18" is fine, it'll be perfect for you.

The bike is great, climbs great, bombs downhill great, everything the reviews say is true. I had the older two.two, they are practically the same apart from the tyres and they've changed the paint job a little, but the spec you posted is the latest version as far as I know.

Comparing the specs, as others have said, the two.two is better, you wont regret it. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two