Lanzarote

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited February 2016 in Tour & expedition
Just back from Playa Blanca and thought I would post up some feedback as I know Lanzarote it is one of the all year round destinations people will consider for cycling breaks.
Weather - fantastic for the week I was there, in the low to mid 20s all week and very pleasant. There was a bit of wind but nothing that prevented me from getting out and at no time did it feel prohibitive or unsafe. The guy in the bike hire shop did say the weather had been exceptional this winter, it was usually cooler and a bit breezier so perhaps I was just lucky.
Bike Hire - I used Cool Bikes in Playa Blanca. A Merida Ride94 (Carbon with 105/Ultegra mix) for €20 /day. It came with the usual pump, tubes, levers, lock, computer and helmet at no extra charge. A nice bike and presented in good condition.
Roads - generally in good nick although a few roads just seemed to stop for no reason and turn into dirt tracks. Not sure why this was the case but there were several times when I had to turn back because I ran out of road. There are volcanic ash tracks next to many of the roads and, although the roads themselves ar pretty smooth, the ash does tend to get blown onto the surface making it a bit "crunchy" under foot (tyre). This also causes significant skidding hazards so need to be very vigilant for patches of ash and gravel at regular intervals.
Rides - I was limited to about an hour or two in the morning and an hour in the late afternoon (daylight from about 7.30 to 18.30) before being required for other family duties. There are a good mix of testing hills (the Danish national team were there doing a very hilly time trial on one of the days I was there - very humbling as all eight of them passed me) and long flat sections of road out of Playa Blanca, all with designated cycling lanes at the edge. It was fairly easy to plan a circuitous rote starting at Playa Blanca and coming back via a different road. Once out of the town there were numerous options to head to nearby towns and villages via good road surfaces.
Summary - a very nice place to spend time cycling in the winter when the weather and daylight in the UK is prohibitive. My only criticism of Lanzarote is that it is not the most picturesque landscape in the world. Due to the volcanic nature of the island the countryside between towns is like the surface of the moon, so perhaps not the most interesting scenery to cycle through - dramatic maybe but not as picturesque as some.
Hope this helps someone if they are planning a trip at some point.
Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• Cheers Crescent

I was thinking of booking a cycling trip to Lanzarote but wasn't sure whether to do that or Mallorca again.

Think you might have convinced me!!
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Aaargh! No pressure then :wink:

It is good, but not as good as Mallorca, just let me get that disclaimer in there.

If you do head to Playa Blanca, have a look at some of the routes out to El Golfo and up through Timanfaya National Park. The road from Playa Blanca up to Femes is also worth a look - short but tough climb. The roads are pretty good (have a look at Google street view). Enjoy whatever you decide.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"