Mavic Elite freehub swap

HumphUK
HumphUK Posts: 30
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Interested in buying the reduced CRC Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel to replace my worn 2010 version. Trouble is it has a campagnolo freehub - Anyone know if I can I swap the shimano freehub from my old wheel?

Comments

• Interested in buying the reduced CRC Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel to replace my worn 2010 version. Trouble is it has a campagnolo freehub - Anyone know if I can I swap the shimano freehub from my old wheel?

Yes, plug and play.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Depends what year they are. The later ones (2012/13 onwards) had an increased axle diameter of 9mm, meaning your 2010 freehub woodnee fit. Meaning you'd have to buy a £40 freehub, which is not really a "free"-hub at all.. :) The newer free-hubs will retro fit the older wheels (they come with a step-down sleeve) but not vice versa, which is what you're wanting to do.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    HumphUK wrote:
    Interested in buying the reduced CRC Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel to replace my worn 2010 version. Trouble is it has a campagnolo freehub - Anyone know if I can I swap the shimano freehub from my old wheel?

So..... how did you get on ?
  • HumphUK
    HumphUK Posts: 30
    Well - following the comments I decided not to risk it. My rims were dangerously worn - but a friend had an earlier model hanging in his garage - so I have swapped - and while the wheel isnt as light, it looks similar - so OK for winter riding. I am nervous with freehubs since trying to get a new freehub for my 2010 Boardman Team Carbon with Ritchey Pro wheels - thought I got the right part from Halfords - but turned out not to have the cage bearings found in mine - its a minefield out there for the unexperienced

Anyway - I am glad I asked - and thanks for the responses