Help me find my Guerciotti

nick119
nick119 Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Your road bikes
Hi everyone - Apologies for crashing this thread, but I'm on a crazy quest in search of my old road bike...

A good friend put me on to the forum after hearing my amusing tale of heartbreak, about how I was separated from my beloved Guerciotti, 22 years ago.

I used to do lot of cycle racing in and around Surrey during the late eighties and early nineties; road races, circuits, time trials, cyclo-cross - the usual stuff.

I owned various bikes during this period, but none as fantastic as my Guerciotti. She was a real beauty. I built her up myself when I was about 15 years old, by earning money for the components through paper rounds, restaurant jobs and other part time work.

I raced her for about 3 years and then went to Uni where I met a girl who I'll refer to as 'Mary', for the purpose of this tale. After a couple of years Mary and I decided to go on holiday, and to afford my share of the trip I (very) reluctantly sold my Guerciotti through the local cycle shop (why, why, why did I do that!?).

The holiday had been great, and on our final night, walking back from a nightclub in the balmy midnight heat of Spain, we stopped by the lapping waves of the Med and watched the lightning of a storm break on the horizon. It was also at this point that Mary told me she had 'done the dirty' on me, a few weeks previously with a bloke from her home town.

Having spent some moments (and a few choice words) processing this 'breaking news', I then remembered how I had come to afford this (suddenly rather grizzly) holiday. I felt sick, and spent the following day's journey back to the UK willing the aircraft to land in order that I could go back to the cycle shop and somehow negotiate a 'buy-back' of my beloved bike.

But alas, when I did eventually get home and contact the shop, I was told the bike had been sold 2 days previously. My beloved Guerciotti was gone, and I was crushed.

So now, 22 years on, I am hoping to be reunited with the Guerciotti I so reluctantly sold. I know it's a long shot, and she may no longer be around, but if she is, I'd like to find her and would be grateful for any help, leads etc...

Here's the spec

Sold: c1994, via 'Fullers' shop, Dorking, Surrey

Frame: Guerciotti (Red), Columbus SL tubing (I'm guessing it would have been made in mid eighties)
Forks: Chromed
Saddle: Rolls (black)
Bars: Cinelli (silver), white tape, black brake hoods, concealed brake cables
Brakes: Campagnolo (Chorus)
Derailleurs: Campagnolo (Chorus)
Gear shifts: Campagnolo (Chorus), on down-tube
Chainset: Campagnolo (Chorus)
Wheels: Rims: Mavic (Black). Hubs: Campagnolo (Chorus)
Pedals: LOOK

So, if this rings any bells or has jogged your memory, please (please) get in touch. Circulate this as much as you want, tweet it, facebook it, etc etc. I'd be very happy to hear from anyone who thinks they may have a lead worth following up.

And for those that have read this far - "Yes", Mary and I ceased to continue and I have since found a new love that has created two little 'loves'. The cycling bug never left me and I got back on the road again about 5 years ago, and have been hauling all 42 of my years along the lanes of Hampshire ever since.

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    edited January 2016
    I haven't got the foggiest, but this has the makings of a moving story. I wish you all the best of luck! (I'm wondering who will play Mary in the film?...)

**edit** I was that 15 year old with the hand built Columbus SL beauty in the mid-80s, although I kept hold of mine, so I'm feeling for you!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Could have done without the back-story, tbf....
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Imposter wrote:
    Could have done without the back-story, tbf....

Gosh, some people are sour. Good luck with your search, nick119.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Well, I enjoyed reading your story. You could try Retrobike.co.uk. Good luck.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    edited January 2016
    Loved the back story...

Bike for a whore, never a happy ending... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well Mary sounds delightful. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking you got rid of the wrong bike...
  • Thanks to you all for your encouraging words.

Yep - I have also posted on Retrobike a week or so back.

"Keep 'em peeled"...
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Looking on the bright side, it was a cheap escape and a salutary life lesson ; think about the lot of the poor bugger who ended up with "Mary" .... Hope you find your old (2 wheeled)bike...