WSD - worth considering?

Mccrear
Mccrear Posts: 256
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
as a man of hobbit-esque stature i have been looking at a couple of 52' frames which claim to be WSD, but the only difference i can see is a slight drop in the standover and top tube height? is the geometry completely different and i should disregard, or worth considering? its on trek emonda sl6 and cannondale evo. can't try either bike for a fit as online only deals. any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I think WSD bikes are shorter in the top tube for any given size. Something to do with women, generally-speaking, having longer legs and a shorter torso for a given height than a bloke. If you do buy it, don't ride it through town, as the chances of it passing a shoe shop without stopping are minimal.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As long as you're not paying over the odds for WSD, and it's not in a girly pink or feminine pastel shades with flowers along the top tube, if it fits you, why not?

AFAIK the WSD bikes are usually a little shorter in the top tube, and have shorter stems, smaller bars and female specific saddles.

Bike shop near me once tried to sell me a WSD bike at a discount without mentioning that it was a ladies model: I declined and took my manly business elsewhere...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    A
    Bike shop near me once tried to sell me a WSD bike at a discount without mentioning that it was a ladies model: I declined and took my manly business elsewhere...

They should have known better than to try and pull the wool over the eyes of a Yorkshireman, eh keef. :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A

They should have known better than to try and pull the wool over the eyes of a Yorkshireman, eh keef. :)

True, but had he been offering a larger discount I might have been tempted...

My dad was a sucker for a bargain; came home once with some suspiciously cheap dog brushes; we didn't have a dog at the time :D