Headset grinding problems

Gbristow15
Gbristow15 Posts: 6
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

Me and and brother need help. We have both got voodoo hoodoo bikes been out on a couple of winter rides where the bikes have got dirty first time we used a jetwash and subsequently got loads of dirty and grit in the headset bearings so cleaned them out and re-greased,lesson learned. So we went out again today to Epping really boggy and muddy so we get back and use the jetwash again but on a light spray avoiding the headset this time but still got all the grit in the headset. What are we doing wrong? I know a jetwash isn't a great idea but we had it on the light setting spraying from about a good meter away. :|

My bike is new my brothers is 7 months old

Appreciate the help in advance

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Er,... don't jet-wash the bikes.

A bucket of water and a brush or wipe down is all you need after each ride
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That ^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jetwash+bikes=new bearings whatever setting you use or however carefully you aim it.

By the way it wasn't lesson learnt, any water flying a meter is going fairly fast so creates a decent static pressure when its suddenly stopped by a headset seal or similar.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That's all I need to know, jet wash no matter what the setting is a no no. We just wasn't sure if it was because we had previously used the jet was up close on all the parts of he bike. Now we know. Appreciate it, bucket and water all the way from now on.