Clothing Help!

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,
I am in training for a sportive of 100km In April I have just ordered a pair of padded bib tights , I have 2 pairs of padded shorts 1 long sleeve and 1 short sleeve cycling tops and cycling shoes. What other clothing will I need for this weather any links appreciated I am on a budget. I went out last weekend in my shorts was frozen for 5 miles after that I warmed up but thought need winter gear hence I have ordered some padded tights. Please can you advise.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Some oversocks or overshoes are a good idea (each has pros and cons), as is a buff (look it up). Don't forget some decent long finger gloves, Endura do some good ones but I find it is best to try on gloves as everyone's fingers are different.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    unpadded tights are worn over your normal padded shorts, bit cheaper and also easier for laundry as you can wash shorts each time but the tights can go a few rides

neoprene overshoes are good in cold and/or wet weather

get a lightweight breathable shell, you can wear one or more layers under it according to temperature

a string baselayer is good, keeps an air layer next to skin and reduces contact chilling
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    unpadded tights are worn over your normal padded shorts, bit cheaper and also easier for laundry as you can wash shorts each time but the tights can go a few rides

neoprene overshoes are good in cold and/or wet weather

get a lightweight breathable shell, you can wear one or more layers under it according to temperature

a string baselayer is good, keeps an air layer next to skin and reduces contact chilling

Probably the most important bit Sungod mentions here is the baselayer. Merino wool is fantastic at keeping you warm even when wet with sweat.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You are on the right lines with the bib tights. As above think about layering. A good base layer is helpful as are good gloves to keep you warm.
  • What should I wear under or over my cycling jersey?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Baselayer goes under, gilet goes over.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well done on spotting that you need extra clothing when its hovering around zero...

No way would I be out cycling in this weather in shorts.

Your padded tights are a good move.

I'd also be going for :

Base layer of a thermal vest - long sleeve if really cold, short sleeve if not. I always have a base layer.
    Thick cycle jacket/jersey over that. Check out Aldi or Lidl for bargains.

On the head - a buff/hedy/gaiter - available all over the place but you pay more for the branded ones. You can have multiple ones - if really cold around the neck and over the jaw.

If not = under the helmet and if chilly - over the ears.

On the extremities some windproof gloves - lobster mitts if really cold. Overshoes for the winter.

I'd also pack a rain jacket for an extra layer - for if it rains, or if you have to stop for a mechanical. Whilst you can be warm cycling you cool down quickly without activity.

Aldi and Lidl will do you - but check out Planet X - they have offers and packs too.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Leg warmers and arm warmers, for when the weather warms up a bit - I have gone through most of this winter with bib-shorts and leg warmers and mostly left the bib-tights at home, especially seeing as we've hardly had any really cold weather (until this last week that is).
    If you have thinner bib-shorts, then you can always get a thicker 'Roubaix' material bib-shorts to use with leg warmers - then you have a variety of coverage for most temperatures.

Although the thicker fabric does mean they are a bit more expensive (eg http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/lusso-lusso-bib-shorts-lusso-2-zero-bib-shorts/lusszbbs396) , but then again you can pay silly money for just the regular weight fabric bibs
    Then if you want to have a three-quarter coverage for the spring, just get some knee warmers, you can pick up a decent pair for about £20.
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 102
    Yes its best to invest in a decent base layer & some good overshoes :D