Recommended windproof/waterproof/winter gloves please

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited February 2016 in Road general
Evening all, my £5 aldi winter jobs kept my hands dry today, but with the cold wind my god my hands were freezing. The weather was cold, raining and windy. In the cold they are usually fine, but factor in some rain and wind and they were not up to the job.

So im going to look at getting some windproof/waterproof/warm gloves. But i have no idea what works.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Price range max of £50 from chain reaction cycles if possible please (i have vouchers!)

Cheers.
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My advice is to layer. Get some lobsters - Assos can be found pretty cheaply.

Ive tried both Sealskinz (terrible) and Assos Fugu (disappointing) thick waterproof winter gloves. Neither were warm or very waterproof and both take forever to dry when then are wet.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I have been using a pair of gloves from Screwfix for a few months now. They are called Skytec Argon and are rubberised and fleece lined yet still allow enough dexterity to change gear and grip the bars and brakes with no problems. As someone wh suffers from cold hands when riding I can't recommend them enough, and they only cost £5.99 so worth a punt even if they turn out not to be suitable.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    While Meanredspider has issues with Sealskin gloves, I bought a pair of these in the sale:
    http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/outlet/winter-cycle-gloves-2010
    Possibly too hot, a bit bulky and can be difficult to put back on to a sweaty hand, but for 20 quid they'll do for the really sh*tty days.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If the Aldi jobs are keeping your hands dry, I would be tempted to try a pair of thin silk liners with them. I'd be surprised if they didn't improve things and make the Aldis more usable. Of course, if you are just looking for an excuse to buy some new gloves (not judging!), crack on.

Personally, I use a pair of leather Giro Ambient City Gloves which my nice Mrs got me for Christmas last year and they have been brilliant in the cold weather of the last few days and I will use silk liners when the temperature drops further. Having said that, being leather, I would call them 'water resistant' rather than waterproof but I haven't actually used them in anything but a shower so far.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I found sealskins next to useless in wet conditions, they didn't exactly keep my hands warm in cold but dry conditions either.
    I suffer badly with the cold (diagnosed with raynaud's disease a while back) but the only gloves I have found which do keep your hands warm are lobster gloves with a soft glove underneath.

From my experience there are no waterproof gloves, and those which do repel water for a while become a nightmare when water does get through as they take forever to dry & then your hands get very very cold.
  • fudgey
    Thanks for the replies chaps.
    Its usually cold feet is suffer with but my hands were far worse today. I castelli toe thingys and overshoes and some very thick hiking socks on. My toes did get cold into the wind but even tho the overshoes and toe things got wet my socks stayed dry.

I will look into the various suggestions, so thanks.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I find these work well:

http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=179&initcode=E0014

I like the Dexter ones for Spring/Autumn but the Strike ones for out and out winter. Always best to try gloves on first though as, like helmets/shoes, fit can be very personal.
  • I've tried quite a few days gloves over the years but for walking in the lakes and other mountain areas. Not one kept my hands warm and dry. I got diagnosed with Reynauds one year which for me starts with the middle finger then spreads. I tried windproof gloves, liner and shell, even expensive ice.climbing gloves that were large enough for liner gloves ranging from thin Odlo polypropylene gloves to thicker gloves.

My only handwear to stay waterproof and warm in all.conditions was mitts costing £30 super inferno.from extremities. No use.cycling but I've heard others.say that there's.just too many seams with.gloves to keep them waterproof perhaps lobster gloves/mitts are a good cycling compromise.

Then winter before this I got a pair of walking sealskinz from my partner. Leather palms and thin but completely waterproof. Never got wet hands wearing them in even very heavy rain. My only issue is they're cold. I wear with liner gloves but since losing them I've got nothing that fits inside.them. I'm thinking of buying the next size up. They're walking style gloves not the cycling ones but you could wear.summer cycling mitts inside if you want padding

Sealskinz work for some, not for others. I think there's either poor quality control or a lot of fakes out there. I rate them for socks and gloves now but am realistic. Waterproof gloves and socks have a lifetime that depends on the level and type of use. Walking I used to think of waterproof socks as a year's use, but I used to use them with fell shoes from late.summer to spring or early summer. Gloves possibly last 2 years I think. Despite this you can buy a dud.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have sealskinz and they are great. I do wonder if those who say they are terrible have been buying the right ones. The ones I have are not cycling specific but I can ride in them ok and are completely waterproof outer. I can dip my hand into water with them on and they do not leak and stay dry inside.

The issue I do have with them is that my hands do sweat in them and if I have to take them off for any reason mid ride like a puncture or for a coffee stop they are a pain to get my hands back in. But they are warm and have done me well for 2 years so far.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have sealskinz and they are great.......

The issue I do have with them is that my hands do sweat in them and if I have to take them off for any reason mid ride like a puncture or for a coffee stop they are a pain to get my hands back in.

I find these two parts of the post a bit contradictory. I wonder what you'd consider bad gloves to be like.

I found my Sealskinz to be sweaty too and the inners would pull out when I took them off - making them very hard to put back on. They would keep heavy rain out for 30 mins then give up. In most gloves, water does tend to get in at the cuffs anyway. Then, either because they are damp from sweat or from rain, they seem to take forever to dry.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    I have sealskinz and they are great.......

The issue I do have with them is that my hands do sweat in them and if I have to take them off for any reason mid ride like a puncture or for a coffee stop they are a pain to get my hands back in.

I find these two parts of the post a bit contradictory. I wonder what you'd consider bad gloves to be like.

I found my Sealskinz to be sweaty too and the inners would pull out when I took them off - making them very hard to put back on. They would keep heavy rain out for 30 mins then give up. In most gloves, water does tend to get in at the cuffs anyway. Then, either because they are damp from sweat or from rain, they seem to take forever to dry.

Yes they keep my hands warm. Thats the important part. They may be a bit sweaty but I have no chill in my hands. I don't getting lots of cold water seeping in from the cuff as I generally put ky sleeves over the top of the cuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Yes they keep my hands warm. Thats the important part. They may be a bit sweaty but I have no chill in my hands. I don't getting lots of cold water seeping in from the cuff as I generally put ky sleeves over the top of the cuff.
    KY jelly? That's one way to do it I suppose.
    I simply pull my jacket sleeves over my gloves.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    KY jelly? That's one way to do it I suppose.
    I simply pull my jacket sleeves over my gloves.

KY ? sure. thats how I get my sleeve on with the glove on my hand. better than a spit and a rub.
  • I've been commuting to work with these from Tenn...

http://tenn-outdoors.co.uk/collections/road/products/tenn-unisex-protect-waterproof-breathable-winter-cycling-gloves

They are just thick enough to keep you warm with being too intrusive. Haven't felt a chill at all in them.

Can't rate their clothing enough, I buy all my stuff from Tenn being local to them, but most of all because their cheap considering the excellent quality.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    The Sealskinz lobsters are nice and warm in the cold. Don't know how waterproof they are - probably not very ... but don't intend to find out. A little bulky but fine. I bought them 1/2 price for about £20. Would recommend them at that price.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Anonymous
    Another vote for Endura Strike.

Wore mine this morning. Fantastic glove IMO.
  • I suffer badly with cold hands tried loads but best gloves so far by miles have been sealskins lobsters..use them everyday through winter all weather's warm and dry down to -3 then i use their merino inner gloves which help but not a dramatic differance.
  • fudgey
    Cheers for the replies chaps.
    After spending a long time reading reviews of various gloves, and from chain reaction as i had vouchers i opted for these answer ones.
    Not sure how well ill get on with them tbh, but thought id give them a go as they are rated to -7 dry.. Who knows what they are like wet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/answer-sleestak-winter-mitt/rp-prod132968

I went for them over the endura strike as i was put off by the plastic inner liners coming away after not very long.

I still have some vouchers left tho just incase the answer ones are rubbish.
    I have used the aldi ones yesterday and today - it was freezing out, like 1 degree today but 50 mins on the bike and they were fine, so its just when they get wet its a problem.

Thanks for the replies tho, ill let you know what they are like.
    Cheers
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Let's see if I understand this correctly.
    You asked for suggestions and got them. Then went and bought something different.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fudgey
    Let's see if I understand this correctly.
    You asked for suggestions and got them. Then went and bought something different.

Well, yes. I had vouchers for chain reaction as said in the first post. Only 1 pair of gloves suggested - the endura strike were available from there and after reading the reviews i was put off them.
    The £5.99 screwfix ones are im sure adequate, but i get quite a runny nose when riding and the lack of a snot wipe ruled them out as it looks like they have a rough grip on them.
    The sealskins have mainly poor reviews.
    CRC dont sell silk liners, and the ones they do sell didnt have great reviews

So i opted for the ones i linked.

Will it be the wrong choice? I dont know yet.

Although people did recommend lobster style, so i did take that on board.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    edited January 2016
    They look okay. The only downside I can see - of course this is subjective - is that they don't appear to have a wrist fastening. Or do they? It might not be an issue if the gloves are long enough but I hate it when my sleeves become untucked. Sealskinz mitts have chunky velcro which is a +
    tick - tick - tick
  • fudgey
    Ah thats a good point, i never noticed that.
    had an email earlier saying that the order has been dispatched, so ill know in a day or 3 what they are like.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    just wait until tomorrow and the temperature is set to increase by 10 degrees! job done!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • fudgey
    Im sure it will get cold again!
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Endura Strike are the best I've worn. Still going strong after 2 winters.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • fudgey
    Update on the Answer gloves.
    Wore them today in some pretty horrible conditions.
    Wind, heavy rain, then showers and more rain.

After about 20 miles in rain they got saturated. BUT my hands stayed warm even though i was squeezing water out etc.
    With the wind i could feel they were slightly cooler, but my hands never felt cold. And when it finally stopped raining they dried out reasonably well and felt comfortable again.
    It was around 6 degrees this morning, but with the wind chill considerably less.

So not bad for £17 imo
  • Does anyone have any experience of the thicker Castelli winter gloves?
  • I use and trust RST for all my motorcycling and cycling clothing
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I got diagnosed with Reynauds one year which for me starts with the middle finger then spreads.

Sorry to bump the thread but this happened to me last week during a cold ride. Everything else was warm, apart from one finger which was like ice! Also happened at the Longleat Lion-heart sportive last year after being stood around @ 3 degrees waiting to start. It did eventually "thaw" but was both noticeable and actually quite painful at times. Who knew?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...