Dropper post failure in cold weather.

Razor32
Razor32 Posts: 24
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Hi Guys.

I hope I ask the question in the right forum.
Anyways, i bought a new bike, and it came with the dropper KS Cruxi, I was out riding in around -4c degrees, all swell. Then at the bottom of a decent the dropper failed to operate normally. It would not stay down, but when i put pressuar onto the seat it would go down slowly. Anyway I took it to the LBS, and due to me putting the seat all the way down, to finish the ride, the thougt the cable got tangled (internal routing). The fixed it at the dropper worked as a charm again. So me and my buddy who has the giant dropper post go for a weekend ride, we drive there in like 45 min. When we get ready both our dropper post will not stay down, nor can the hold the weight of us sitting om them. The temp was -4c. Is this somehow due to cheaper version of droppers? Or is there something we can do to get them working, wrap them in wool or something?
Let me here what you guys do?
cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Could be the cable freezing. I've had it on gear cables before, if there's moisture in the cable it can freeze solid enough to prevent it releasing.
  • Razor32
    edited January 2016
    Sounds reasonble.
    But wouldent the lever be stuck in the position then?

and how do I remove moisture from the cabel if i go that route? Thanks..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No idea. One of the reasons I prefer a hydraulic operated seat post.
  • Razor32
    I was thinking about cutting the fuss and getting a Gravity dropper, the seem reliable..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds reasonble.
    But wouldent the lever be stuck in the position then?

and how do I remove moisture from the cabel if i go that route? Thanks..
    Its possible the lever force can overcome the icey grip but not the return spring force.....same as happens with rear mechs (ice or any other crud for that matter).

Remove inner cable, wipe thoroughly, dry the outer, a wipe of a lightweight lube (GT85 or better still a teflon based one) and reassemble, make sure the outers use quality end caps with an o-ring seal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Razor32
    Thanks Rookie.

I will give it a shot, and be more careful while washing the bike. I will let you guys know if it solved the problem :)
  • jallll
    jallll Posts: 31
    Razor32 wrote:
    I was thinking about cutting the fuss and getting a Gravity dropper, the seem reliable..

i owne three... and never failed, altough here in barcelona we don,t have this cold...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... hoto%2cJPG
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    This has happened to my Reverb Stealth. In cold conditions (0 deg and below) it sometimes won't rise after I've dropped it. Get back to warmer climates and it's all good again.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive