Snapped spokes

FODCADEMON
FODCADEMON Posts: 207
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hello,
I have managed to snap two spokes in my last three rides. On each occasion it has happened suddenly on flat, relatively smooth roads under very little power. After the first one, I replaced it and then a different one went. The have both snapped at the point at which the spoke meets the nipple. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and, crucially, what can I do to stop. I have had the bike for less than 18 months and have been riding it at a couple of times a week.
Thanks very much,
C
Just ride.

Comments

• Metal fatigue, read my blog
    left the forum March 2023
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yep, once they start going you want to have the wheel rebuilt. Not too expensive and it will last a good while longer.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Hello,
    I have managed to snap two spokes in my last three rides. On each occasion it has happened suddenly on flat, relatively smooth roads under very little power. After the first one, I replaced it and then a different one went. The have both snapped at the point at which the spoke meets the nipple. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and, crucially, what can I do to stop. I have had the bike for less than 18 months and have been riding it at a couple of times a week.
    Thanks very much,
    C

Broken spokes are from erratic spoke tension, mostly too low, with a resulting warped(bent) rim. Plus maybe some crappy spokes/nipples. I would suggest going to a decent wheelbuilder, replace all the spokes/nipples, and have them true/round/dish/tension and stress relieve the wheel.
  • Yep, once they start going you want to have the wheel rebuilt. Not too expensive and it will last a good while longer.

Agree but depends on hubs and rims (type and degree of rim wear) if it's worth it or not to rebuild.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, fair point. If it's a basic factory built wheel you might be as well just buying a new one - and then about once a year have someone tension it so it lasts.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Which wheel brand was this on? I have a severe distrust of Easton wheels because of spoke tension problems. Saying that, the only spoke I ever snapped was on a Campag Zonda rear which was out of the blue on the flat smooth tarmac roads.