Jet / power washin the bike. Advice sought...

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited January 2016 in Workshop
So, we bought a semi decent jet wash for the house to keep the cars clean as live in a Devon village and the roads are agricultural at best. So, staring at my bike and staring at the jet wash post car wash thinking, it'll work a treat but I hear and recall abject horror stories about jet washing a bike though we see the Pro Tour mechanics cleaning and jet washing bikes all through the grand tours.

Using common sense if pointing at the wheel bearings does anyone else have any advice one what to do and not to do if jet washing a bike. Just given the machine a winter clean after a few miles earlier and just not looking clean so ordered some bits from wiggle and thinking power wash the way forward. I am quite happy to remove my Dura Ace chainset and regrease once a week if required, asssuming a jet wash could penetrate a press fit BB and remove grease. Any advice appreciated.

Nice one.

Pete.

Comments

• bristolpete
    Be careful when using it, don't spray on high pressure near the bottom bracket, or wheel bearings, pedal spindles. I tend to waft the lance using the open spray pattern over the frame and forks. I do spray my rear and front mechs but again not a direct jet close up. Works for my road and mtb bikes, don't spray my dropper post on the mtb either. Use common sense to be fair, lube the chain after cleaning it as well you don't want the embarrassment of a rusty chain.

Sweet - thanks. Always do lube the chain post clean, but noticed today that due to the state of the roads, the dirt and grime so inset into the inside of the chainset, under the calipers and on the mechs as you say and a sponge not getting in there. Will excercise caution, but reckon its a safe option using the grey matter.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I give my bikes a wipe down to get any dirt off and lube the chain, cables and derailleurs after most rides and I manage to keep the bikes fairly clean. Unless you were going off-road and getting the bike covered in mud I can't see why you would need to jet wash the bike. Even if I did go off-road, I think I would just wash off the mud with a sponge and hot soapy water.
  • bristolpete
    I give my bikes a wipe down to get any dirt off and lube the chain, cables and derailleurs after most rides and I manage to keep the bikes fairly clean. Unless you were going off-road and getting the bike covered in mud I can't see why you would need to jet wash the bike. Even if I did go off-road, I think I would just wash off the mud with a sponge and hot soapy water.

I hear you. I did however move to Devon 2 years back and the roads here are crazy at times, especially the quiet back roads us cyclists like to use to circum-navigate a decent loop. I will try and take a couple of snaps on my 30 mile loop as evidence and I stay away from Dartmoor for safety til Spring as its mental up there. I appreciate your comments however.
  • Look out for anywhere the water can get in the frame. Had a customer with a bike that he regularly jet washed, removed the bb and a cup or so of water came out with it
  • bristolpete
    Look out for anywhere the water can get in the frame. Had a customer with a bike that he regularly jet washed, removed the bb and a cup or so of water came out with it

Nice - have concluded given I have Shimano DA chainset press fit its easy enough to take off and blast the inside where the crap lives, regrease the spindle and pop back in. Happy days.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use a hose and old towel to rub dry / clean. If you want to use a jet wash just check your bearings every now and then and be a little careful.
  • +1 use to use jet wash but thought too risky. Now just use hose and brush after ride - just as good; live in rural area also.