Cannondale s6 evo upgrades

bukowski102
bukowski102 Posts: 88
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi there, just tried out my new cannondale supersix this morning, the fit and comfort is very good
and 105 gears/brakes feel good. The bike felt a bit sluggish with the mavic aksiums and schwalbe luganos
on and I am looking to upgrade wheels/tyres.
Anyone have any experience with shimano dura ace c24? they are on offer at 559 on wiggle atm...
also looking at novatec jetflys which have had good reviews...
Im guessing the sluggishness is the wheels? aksiums+luganos = 2400g
dura ace c24 + veloflexs = 1800ish
I will keep the aksiums wheels through the winter.
Also whats the next best weight saving thing to upgrade after the wheels? carbon post n saddle?

Many thanks guys!!!

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I changed the vision wheels on mine for RS81s with Schwalbe 1 tyres and and then went to Ksyrium Elites which some may consider a sideways move but the Ksyriums were VERY cheap and i thought they`d look better.
    Performance and looks wise I much prefer the Ksyriums to the RS81s. I didn`t notice any flex in the RS81s but the Mavics feel way stiffer and I feel a lot more confident with more and bigger spokes on the Mavics.
    RS81s are the same as the DA C24s save for hubs so IMO I`d wouldn`t bother with the DAs.
    PBK have some good offers on Deda and Spinergy wheels. The Spinergy white spokes would look great and they come with Conti GP.tyres
    Wheels /is the best place to start but get some nice tyres to get the best out of them I think you have an FSA chainset on the 105 equipped bikes, see if you can get a Cannondale Si hollowgram chainset of Ebay as they`re expensive new but will save you a lot of weight.
    Other than that I`d stick with what you have for a while and take your time and then upgrade when you need a bit of encouragement to get out a bit.
    Maybe a nice saddle though as well ..... :wink:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • bukowski102
    bukowski102 Posts: 88
    edited January 2016
    I changed the vision wheels on mine for RS81s with Schwalbe 1 tyres and and then went to Ksyrium Elites which some may consider a sideways move but the Ksyriums were VERY cheap and i thought they`d look better.
    Performance and looks wise I much prefer the Ksyriums to the RS81s. I didn`t notice any flex in the RS81s but the Mavics feel way stiffer and I feel a lot more confident with more and bigger spokes on the Mavics.
    RS81s are the same as the DA C24s save for hubs so IMO I`d wouldn`t bother with the DAs.
    PBK have some good offers on Deda and Spinergy wheels. The Spinergy white spokes would look great and they come with Conti GP.tyres
    Wheels /is the best place to start but get some nice tyres to get the best out of them I think you have an FSA chainset on the 105 equipped bikes, see if you can get a Cannondale Si hollowgram chainset of Ebay as they`re expensive new but will save you a lot of weight.
    Other than that I`d stick with what you have for a while and take your time and then upgrade when you need a bit of encouragement to get out a bit.
    Maybe a nice saddle though as well ..... :wink:

Many thanks, I was lucky enough to get a brand new 2016 version (with si chain set) I want to turn it into a criterium machine, many thanks I will look on pbk
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Kysrium Elite 2016s from 4thebike are 399 euros at the moment, that's a great upgrade.

The sluggishness may be down to the tyres though, something like Vittoria Open Corsa SCs will make you look and feel faster immediately.

IMG_0101.JPG
    (not my photo)
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    The ten speed c24s were really good wheels but the 11sp seem to be problematic. Developing probs where the joint in the rim is and braking issues. Wheels wobbling. Id steer clear i just had a set that went the same way and if you google it plenty of cases about. The old ten sp with the red nipples were fantastic though.
    Id get some shamal ultras if not going handbuilt
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I was lucky enough to get a brand new 2016 version (with si chain set)

Si really only stands for "System Integration" , which in essence is really just a fancy way of saying that it's a proprietary part. With regards to their cranksets I think Cannondale have been just a tiny bit crafty here, and here's for why. The Si (and SiL2) monikers are pretty synonymous in most peoples minds with Dale's sophisticated "Hollowgram" tecnology on their elegantly designed high end crank-sets.
    This year they have taken the Si moniker and writ it large on these entry level, non-Hollowgram, cast cranksets on 2016 105 bikes, leading to a lot of folk thinking their getting something that they're not. Whilst not outright dishonest as I'm sure that when asked they'd freely explain the differences, I still see it as, perhaps, "marketing slight-of-hand". :|

Weight wise I doubt if you could draw a straw between these non-Hollowgram "Si"cranks and the FSA Gossammer that previously graced entry level Dale's right up to 2015.
    The rear of the crank arm in the picture below, shows a simple cast contruction a-la FSA Gossammer.

cannondale-si.ashx?la=en&vs=1&d=20151029T200025Z

Compared to the far more involved Hollowgram construction below :

Si_Hollowgram_SLchanges1_600.jpg
  • I was lucky enough to get a brand new 2016 version (with si chain set)

Si really only stands for "System Integration" , which in essence is really just a fancy way of saying that it's a proprietary part. With regards to their cranksets I think Cannondale have been just a tiny bit crafty here, and here's for why. The Si (and SiL2) monikers are pretty synonymous in most peoples minds with Dale's sophisticated "Hollowgram" tecnology on their elegantly designed high end crank-sets.
    This year they have taken the Si moniker and writ it large on these entry level, non-Hollowgram, cast cranksets on 2016 105 bikes, leading to a lot of folk thinking their getting something that they're not. Whilst not outright dishonest as I'm sure that when asked they'd freely explain the differences, I still see it as, perhaps, "marketing slight-of-hand". :|

Weight wise I doubt if you could draw a straw between these non-Hollowgram "Si"cranks and the FSA Gossammer that previously graced entry level Dale's right up to 2015.
    The rear of the crank arm in the picture below, shows a simple cast contruction a-la FSA Gossammer.

Yes fsa gossamer is 770g and the si chainset is 611g so not much in it, was looking at the 'dales on
    pauls cycles and even the sram red evo comes with the si chainset......
  • MikeBrew
    611g is for the Hollowgram Si. God only know what the Non-Hollowgram "Si" of 2016 105 Dales weighs.

All the 2015 Dale's on Paul's cyles that feature the Si, feature the Si Hollowgram.. You seem to have missed the distinction betweem "Si" and Si Hollowgram and, hence, the whole point of my post.
  • 611g is for the Hollowgram Si. God only know what the Non-Hollowgram "Si" of 2016 105 Dales weighs.

All the 2015 Dale's on Paul's cyles that feature the Si, feature the Si Hollowgram.. You seem to have missed the distinction betweem "Si" and Si Hollowgram and, hence, the whole point of my post.

Think the 2014 I just bought has the "better" one also ????
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5475/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-RED-2014
    Am I correct ?
  • MikeBrew
    Yes indeed it does , it probably states Hollowgram on the inner side (bikeside) of the arms... Seems the "pretend" Si is a new thing for 2016 :D The 2016 Dale's from Ultegra on up also feature the Hollogram version.
  • I was lucky enough to get a brand new 2016 version (with si chain set)

Yes fsa gossamer is 770g and the si chainset is 611g so not much in it, was looking at the 'dales on

Yes thanks I GOT IT
  • Cannondale Cranks. There's four:

The original SI/Hollowgram. Been around for years, used to be silver, now black with a small "SI". Mostly FSA Rings these days. Weighs 615 or so in a compact.
    The SiSL. Black, with a small "SL" logo. Usually with FSA rings. 570 or so in a compact
    The SiSL. Current top of the line. Usually has SpideRings. Somewhere under 540 in a compact, although with a new bike, you usually get both compact and full size SpideRings.
    The new SI. Hollow/open forged component, big "SI" graphic. Weighs 750 or so, generally in a mid-compact with FSA rings.

For all of that, the "cheap" one still comes in under the weight of an Ultegra or Force crank. Rings, spindles and spiders are cross compatible. Just to add to the confusion, there's two variants of SpideRing, the Si and SiSL. The lower end one has 8 arms and is about 40g heavier, but comes in 50/34, 52/36 and 53/39. Mid compact versions of the top-end SiSl SR aren't made yet. The SiSL2 also has a 5mm longer spindle (109mm) to accomodate BB30A. This is also lighter than the original 104mm spindle, but not by a margin that would matter if you need spacers to fit to an old school BB30 BB.

All Hollowgrams are great cranks, and there's little beyond weight to pick between them. I haven't tried a "new" SI, but for my money, a second-hand FSA SL-K crank is about £150 on Ebay, native BB30 and comes in under 590g with the heavy silver rings fitted.
  • MikeBrew
    I was lucky enough to get a brand new 2016 version (with si chain set)

Yes thanks I GOT IT

Sorry , just my OCD kicking in... Anyway, from what I recall, you got that bike for an absolute song -- £720 brand new wasn't it ... At that price I daresay you're none too bothered about which exact iteration of SI chainset it is ,,...Hell of a bargain
    How does the 54cm fit at 5'11" ?
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Sorry , just my OCD kicking in... Anyway, from what I recall, you got that bike for an absolute song -- £720 brand new wasn't it ... At that price I daresay you're none too bothered about which exact iteration of SI chainset it is ,,...Hell of a bargain
    How does the 54cm fit at 5'11" ?

OK....apparently it doesn't fit that well.

unfortunately have to sell this superlight racing and climbing machine as its too small for me (need 56cm), Ive had it 4 days and ridden one 30 mile ride so its really is brand new out of the box condition. Would prefer local pickup but postage is possible. Selling bike locally also.

The 2016 supersix frame is more aero and has shimano 105 11speed with cannondale SI chainset.

I paid £1499

Many thanks

Or does it ?
    Hi there, just tried out my new cannondale supersix this morning, the fit and comfort is very good

Well, I'm confused !

pinocchio.jpg
    Pinocchio wrote:
    Father will I always be made of wood ?

Dodgey place Ebay ....