eBay bike light battery mounting??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, got a Solarstorm light from eBay, was thinking of mounting battery in old water bottle so it doesn't scratch frame and is waterproof - will it be a problem sealed in a water bottle with regard to airflow/heat????

Antithetical options for water proofing battery??

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just use some silicon sealer smeared across the ends to close up the heat shrink and waterproof it, the battery is then strapped under the stem using the supplied battery carrier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sploosh
    Sploosh Posts: 24
    I am working on a new mount for my battery as I don't like how they intend it to be used. I also have a thing about wires.

I've stuffed mine in an old water bottle for now, i have cable tied the batteries in place by drilling the bottle and i have drilled a few holes in the bottom to let water out. I have also drilled some holes in the top so I can coil my wire up and cable tie that in place too.

This has just been a test and I plan on 3D printing something which looks a bit more 'the part'.

In answer to your question; no. The battery will not malfunction because of your restricted air flow. If anything, it will work better.
  • JGTR
    First night ride tonight, here's what I've done with the battery, it's my first effort but seems pretty good so far, could wrap it with tape if it's really wet.I've ordered some Velcro One Wrap to use instead of the tape so I can remove and refit the lights easily. Bottle is a tool bottle from Decathlon.

I'll be using a different light in future with a longer lead so the connector will be inside the bottle. When riding I have the wire between the bottle and frame to reduce water ingress.

C39DFDB9-40D8-410B-A8B1-E252C3BF1156_zpsynqmnwog.jpg

71B02639-77DE-437D-B5DA-A778FA6D8D39_zpsyqjjhogg.jpg

9D926BBC-9B4C-4407-ADBE-EA3BCB36F0E9_zpsbvhrvinn.jpg

A4822119-6687-4DFF-961D-4BFEB138EE3C_zpsehxsngo8.jpg
  • The Rookie
    For me it's an over complex and heavy solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I've always (last 5 years) sealed mine with silicon and mounted under the stem, never had an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    over complicated

Depends on the person I suppose :P
  • The Rookie
    Well its more complicated than my solution at least!