Which Raphajacket ? Hardshell, classic or pro team ?

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to replace my six season old Assos jacket , can't decide which jacket (or two!) to go for to get me back out on the bike this winter for my weekend club rides ..or should I just get the another Assos 850 airblock

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I'd say the classic. The hardshell is too warm for most conditions, and the Pro Team kit, well, clue in the name, really.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've a hardshell and a pro team. Classic I can't comment as never used.

Hardshell is great if it's cold and wet, it's not as breathable as the pro team but is still a fairly breathable piece. It's absolutely waterproof and keeps the cold off well. If it's raining when I head out then I tend to grab the hard shell. Having said that it hasn't seen much use with me in the two seasons I've had it as I tend to find it works best in quite a narrow temp range (cold).

Pro team is the best jacket I've used. It's shower proof but I always pack a rain jacket or cape if rain is a possibility. Highly breathable, it's great in a range of temp's as it keeps the wind off so well, I'd wear this from 12 degrees down to 0 by just adjusting the base layer. Very comfy, it's my winter 'go-to', can't recommend highly enough really.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111

Pro team is the best jacket I've used. It's shower proof but I always pack a rain jacket or cape if rain is a possibility. Highly breathable, it's great in a range of temp's as it keeps the wind off so well, I'd wear this from 12 degrees down to 0 by just adjusting the base layer. Very comfy, it's my winter 'go-to', can't recommend highly enough really.

I'd agree with the above. Not used the other two but the Pro Team is an awesome bit of kit. I bought one earlier and the year and have been using it all the time recently. I was out at 6am yesterday morning with just a base layer and a Pro Team jacket and wasn't cold in the slightest, temp was about 1c.

The thing I like about it is I find you don't think about it at all, "am I too hot", "am I too cold" once it's on and you're moving that's it, job done. The front is really wind proof which stops the chill, the back isn't so all your warmth has somewhere to escape meaning you don't over heat

Having said all the above I doubt it will keep you warm if you're taking it really easy or wanting it for warmth while sat about.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The 851 Assos jacket is hard to beat as an all round winter jacket. I don't think Rapha makes a jacket in the same league for my needs. I have all three of the rapha jackets you mention. The hardshell I only consider suitable for cold wet weather rides - it's top dog in these conditions but - exactly the weather I tend to stay indoors given a choice! I probably don't try hard enough hence the pro jacket doesn't really keep me warm enough and still I find when I put a bit of effort in that it doesn't breath particularly well. The softshell is a nice jacket, but I'm more inclined to wear it off the bike than on as a casual jacket!

I was out today with av temp 3 celsius wearing rapha long sleeve merino base layer and castelli alpha jacket. If anything I was a bit warm but the alpha has two zipped layers and you can easily unzip the inner layer to control temperature. For winter riding I'll stick with my Assos 851s and Castelli Alpha. The Alpha provides more warmth and weather protection, with a slightly more race fit than the 851.

Peter
  • I think we all run at slightly different temperatures so need to layer up appropriately to that.

For me though the pro team jacket is up there with the best cycling kit I've purchased. Very breathable, versatile and water proof to a point. I'd recommend everyone to have one as part of their kit as it ticks so many of the boxes.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Thanks for the replies

I agree with the Assos 851 as a great jacket but it is not fully waterproof so I carry a light rain jacket

The classic with the leather patch on one shoulder to me seems more for commuter riding ? it is a nice fit and design

Castelli jackets seem to get a good review but inprefer something more understated hence the reason I posted this question
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Just my opinion but I think the alpha jacket in black is lower key than the 851. I suspect the 851 will prove more durable if that is a consideration.

Peter
  • Minus 2 to 3 in rural Perthshire today. PT Jacket and a ls merino base on and I never felt the cold. I also had a pair of the PT bib tights on which have the same Polartech Powershield Pro fabric on the front panels. It's great stuff.
  • Wore my Pro Team jacket today with a merino short sleeve baselayer underneath. Was a hard 3 hour ride, followed by a half hour cruise home in the snow and it was perfect the whole way round. Great bit of kit.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    851 AirJack is a classic. Still my favourite.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    MRS what has taken over from the 851 in the new Assos range? I have to say the Pro Team Jacket is really good. All I need down here.
  • meanredspider
    I don't know (and not sure I could pronounce it even if I did). It's a shame that the 851 material was dropped because that was the key. I have the Early Winter gloves in both 851 and the new material and the new ones aren't a patch on the 851. I'm especially disappointed because I'd bought a second pair of 851 but the padding stitching wasn't up to snuff. They went back to Assos who "kindly" replaced them with the new version. After one go with the new ones, I asked if I could have my old ones back either repaired or to repair - but they were gone.

Ironically I think it was 851 which has prompted the "gay spaceman" jibes about Assos style. I'd hoped that someone else would pick the material up - Shutt did I think but tragically I think that company ended when the founder died (apologies if I got that wrong).

I still have 2 AirJack jackets, 2 sets of the 851 winter tights, the gloves and lobsters (I used to commute through the winter in the Highlands). About the only downside of 851 is that it's heavier than some materials.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I've got the classic and PT jackets - low single digit temperature I'll use the classic, if warmer, go with the PT.

After freezing in the Dolomites in August/September, I vowed to myself never to be cold on the bike again, and so far the above has worked out well for me...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • The Assos 851 is probably a comparison to the old pro team soft shell, more tight stretch fit

The only downside of my Assos 851 wind jacket is that the perforated panels have separated from the jacket after several years ( not helped by the missus leaving it on dryer setting:/)

I have some Max Hürzeler bib tights purchased in Mallorca whose design appear a copy of the Assos 851 but obviously inferior quality ( thinner and not as well insulated )
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Shutt did I think but tragically I think that company ended when the founder died (apologies if I got that wrong).

Pete is still alive. I believe spent considerable part of 2015 in hospital - think Shutt relaunching soon.

Have both the hardshell and proteam. Have worn the proteam in downpours at -2 recently. Has become damn but never got cold ( wore Endura Baabaa below ). If its raining when I headout and below 3c will wear hardshell otherwise Proteam. As describing to a mate, never realised how good the proteam was until I bought a Gabba!
  • meanredspider
    Shutt did I think but tragically I think that company ended when the founder died (apologies if I got that wrong).

Pete is still alive. I believe spent considerable part of 2015 in hospital - think Shutt relaunching soon.
    !

That's great news. I'd assumed the worst from what I had read so I'm very happy to be very wrong.