Aspiring cyclist seeking insight

Boilerfan91
Boilerfan91 Posts: 8
edited February 2016 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I've been interested in breaking into the world of road cycling for a couple of years now. My primary motive at this time is exercise. That being said, I have a genuine interest in future racing. I'd also like a bike capable of long distance touring. While I'm aware having all of these capabilities in one bike may be unrealistic, I'm looking for your advice.

In the immediate future I will be using the bicycle for exercise and exploration purposes. I love exploring new areas and am intrigued at doing so on a bike. I'd like to take relatively long trips over varying terrain, meaning both flat and hilly areas. I plan to ride in all types of weather conditions.

My budget for a cycle is a maximum of $500. I prefer American made, but will certainly consider foreign products if the build quality and durability is greater. Obviously, I'm looking at used bicycles. I'll also add that I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid in the least of performing maintenece and repairs myself.

Also, what is the bare minimum for apparell that I will need? Are special shoes required? Shorts/pants? Keep in mind I plan to ride through all seasons of the northwest Indiana and surrounding area climate.

Thanks in advance for any and all replys. I'm extremely excited to get started!

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would say stop planning and start doing! Lot's of bikes out there for that kind of money, the most important thing is getting one the right size (although minor adjustments can be made). Don't overthink all the prep stuff, I started cycling when I was about 5 years old wearing an old T shirt and baggy shorts...and I still ride in that sometimes, particularly on the beer bike on the way to the pub.

You may struggle to find a bike that is truly a master of all...and you may not even want to do it all...so just get something like a Canondale Caad 8 and start riding. Once you have taken the first big step (or rather pedal) then take it from there. Go for it :-)
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I just checked the weather for North west Indiana United States and its sweltering!! Oh, unless that's in Fahrenheit in which case its bloody freezing. :-)
    Seriously though you will need an amount set aside for winter gear if its around freezing point, how much stuff you need depends on all kinds of factors like age, how good your circulation is, how free riding the roads are or are you stuck at traffic lights for ages getting out of town? Right here now its about +1 Celsius and snowing and I went for a run instead. My winter gloves alone cost £50 ($80)...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I had a look for an all rounder a few years ago and came to the conclusion that you couldn't do better than a cross bike. As Bobbinogs says though, it won't do everything well. It's probably not well suited to serious racing or mountain biking, but for general exercise and touring it'd be fine. Having said that, a dedicated tourer could be better if that's your main interest at the moment - depends on whether or not you'd be doing the full-on camping style or b'n'b/motel/credit card style.

Don't know what's available for 500 bucks, but there are some good deals on second hand to get you started.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • a secondhand alloy bike with a decent groupset (sora/tiagra is prob about this price)
    diamondback/giant?
  • if you are riding in cold weather make sure you have the correct clothing. Nothing ruins a ride like being cold
  • My budget for a cycle is a maximum of $500. I prefer American made, but will certainly consider foreign products if the build quality and durability is greater. Obviously, I'm looking at used bicycles. I'll also add that I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid in the least of performing maintenece and repairs myself.

Very few bikes are made in America, although I'm sure there are some. The vast majority come from Taiwan.
  • bflk wrote:
    I just checked the weather for North west Indiana United States and its sweltering!! Oh, unless that's in Fahrenheit in which case its bloody freezing. :-)
    Seriously though you will need an amount set aside for winter gear if its around freezing point, how much stuff you need depends on all kinds of factors like age, how good your circulation is, how free riding the roads are or are you stuck at traffic lights for ages getting out of town? Right here now its about +1 Celsius and snowing and I went for a run instead. My winter gloves alone cost £50 ($80)...

JESUS CHRIST!!

What could possibly be so special about gloves that justifies that price? How much did you pay for your bike? Having paid that much just for gloves, I can only imagine just how much your bike cost. Substantial in all probability.
  • LMAO. My 'winter' gloves cost £1 from Wikos. If it's really cold I'll wear a second pair over the top.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Shimano Bottom Bracket, There is really no need to shout! Why should you get so wound up about what someone pays for their gloves (or their bike) when you probably don't even know them or what resources they have at their disposal? Personally, I would consider £50 OK to spend on gloves if they kept my hands warm and were comfortable to wear but I wouldn't dream of slagging anybody off if they made the personal decision to spend £100 or, indeed, £1 on alternatives.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Takes all sorts. My winter gloves cost £80, IIRC (Castelli Tempesta), not counting the separate liners for really cold days. Still seems cheap compared to €160 for a decent pair of ski gloves...

As for the cost of my bike, well, a) I have 9 and b) my wife may look in here one day. So let's not talk about that.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    964Cup, JESUS CHRIST!! Having paid that much just for gloves, I can only imagine just how much your bike (sorry, 9 bikes), Super Yacht or Learjet cost. Substantial in all probability.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)