Aspiring cyclist seeking insight

Boilerfan91
Boilerfan91 Posts: 8
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello all,

I've been interested in breaking into the world of road cycling for a couple of years now. My primary motive at this time is exercise. That being said, I have a genuine interest in future racing. I'd also like a bike capable of long distance touring. While I'm aware having all of these capabilities in one bike may be unrealistic, I'm looking for your advice.

In the immediate future I will be using the bicycle for exercise and exploration purposes. I love exploring new areas and am intrigued at doing so on a bike. I'd like to take relatively long trips over varying terrain, meaning both flat and hilly areas. I plan to ride in all types of weather conditions.

My budget for a cycle is a maximum of $500. I prefer American made, but will certainly consider foreign products if the build quality and durability is greater. Obviously, I'm looking at used bicycles. I'll also add that I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid in the least of performing maintenece and repairs myself.

Also, what is the bare minimum for apparell that I will need? Are special shoes required? Shorts/pants? Keep in mind I plan to ride through all seasons of the northwest Indiana and surrounding area climate.

Thanks in advance for any and all replys. I'm extremely excited to get started!

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    $500 is buttons. I'm not sure there'll be much choice (new) at that price, and what there is will be very basic. No idea about the US market, but over here (based on the usual $1=£1 for consumer pricing) that would point you pretty solidly at Decathlon for a basic B'Twin. Don't forget you'll also need suitable kit, including shoes/pedals/helmet. Even buying the most basic of everything I think you'll need at least $750, and you'd be better off spending more to get something that will last you longer. I'd be amazed if you could get anything US-made for that price (there'll be US-designed, but that means very little). I'd just accept that mass-manufacturing has moved to Asia and get on with it.

Of course, if you buy used, you could do much better, but you will need someone to check whatever you buy for safety if you've no experience yourself.