SRAM Hydraulic Force 22 compatibility for fancy new tourer

d87francis
d87francis Posts: 136
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

apologies if this has already been posted but I am struggling to find info on this.

I'm building up a new all rounder/tourer for Europe in the summer on a Croix De Fer frame. I am keen to make the leap to road hydraulic disc brakes, however, Shimano do not offer low enough gearing on their mechanical 11 speed sets for all the loaded climbing I shall be doing.

I've been looking at SRAMs Rival/Force/Red due to their supposed compatibility between road and mountain parts due to 1:1 pull ratios. Is anyone able to confirm if this setup will work?

Levers - SRAM Rival/Force/Red 22 hydraulic
Chainset - SRAM Force 22 compact
FD- SRAM Force 22
RD- SRAM Gx 2x11 Long cage http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-gx-2x11-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod135898?gs=1&gclid=CL3jibOErcoCFQTjGwodUDIBwA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Cassette - SRAM XG1150 10 - 42 teeth http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-xg1150-11-speed-cassette/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360710979&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360710979uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Sale&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sCvmxTpd6_dc%7cpcrid%7c75590029622%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360710979uk
rear hub - Chris King ISO XD

has anyone used their new 42t cassette with road shifters and a road FD? I gather that some RD designed for the new 42t cassette are designed for a single chainring for CX stuff and can not be used with a double or compact, however, this one looks alright. Bit of a newbie to mix and matching and these are new so there's not much online, just wanna check that there will not be problems with too much slack or chainline etc.

There seem to be supply problems with Rival and Force hydraulic shifters and can only find Reds easily, if I can find the Forces is there any discernible reason I should part with the extra couple of hundred for the Reds other than weight saving?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Have you considered 1 x 11 speed, using a MTB shifter? That way you can use a 10-40 cassette, with a 36 front, which should go anywhere.
    You can then fit TRP Hylex hydraulic, much cheaper and very good.

You just need to find a shifter that fits a road handlebar, but it shouldn't be impossible
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cheers for the suggestion Ugo. Yes I'd thought about it, along with considering the SRAM 1x11 CX hydraulic setup, and using TRPs with a Rohloff Speedhub. I think my original suggestion (if possible) would be my preferred setup as I would like the bike to double as my daily commuter plus some wintery club runs, and would prefer the wider gear range that a large chain ring provides.

If it's not possible i think a 1x11 setup may be the way forward, as a rohloff would be another month of saving and messing about with frame gaps, when I'm keen to get something built to replace the pub bike I've been using the last couple of months.

I'm also keen to get some sturdy touring handbuilts made up on a son schmidt dynamo hub and either chris king or hope pro 4 rear hub, with priority on indestructibility over weight, so 36 hole, preferably all black hubs, rims and spokes, and some strong rims that'll accommodate some marathon plus 32s as easily as they can be taken on and off ;)

I've been off BR for a couple of years, are you still making wheels Ugo, or can you recommend anyone else London based? Thanks

• I've been off BR for a couple of years, are you still making wheels Ugo, or can you recommend anyone else London based? Thanks

Talk to Arup Sen in SE London
    left the forum March 2023