Budget forks advice needed

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited January 2016 in MTB general
I am looking for some new forks for a bike I'm putting together for my other half, it's for light trails. Epping forest mainly. I only want to spend around £80 and my options seem to be

New 2016 Rock Shox XC28s
Used 2007ish Rock Shox Tora 318
Used 2011ish Rock Shox Recon TK Silver
Used 2011ish Rock Shox XC32 TK Solo air
Used Rock Shox dart (budget option)

Anybody for experience of any of these or any others that fit criteria, I don't know much about forks and not sure how much technology has changed. Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I'm going to assume that your other half weighs less than the average fellah

In which case, most coil forks will be too 'stiff' out of the box. Coil forks are also heavy

So look for an air fork.

I'd look for a Rockshox Recon / Reba or Suntour Epicon second hand on ebay, though you may need to push the budget a little

Of the forks you list I'd pick the RS XC32 Solo Air or Recon Silvers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, look for a reasonable pair of used air forks......will have a set of Manitou Skareb Elite for sale once I get around to servicing them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Out of the original list, the Tora 318 air. Tough, adjustable, great fork, if a little weighty (but lighter than the others with its alloy steerer)
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Splash out an extra £50 and get some brand new old stock suntour epicon from eBay (£130)

Or if you're in no rush, keep an eye out for some second hand epicon/raidon which would be better than any of those options