Tacx Vortex trainer

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited January 2016 in Road general
I am about the buy the vortex turbo trainer and trying to figure out how to connect everything. The deal I am getting comes with ipad mount, and would like to use this with my garmin ant+ cadence and HRM sensors.

Does anyone know if the vortex comes with ant+ sensor for ipad?

Or could I connect ipad using bluetooth, then the sensors using ant+?

Thanks

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I use it with an Android tablet and use bluetooth. I have to take the tablet off the holder and place it by the brake to get it to connect. The Vortex came with an ANT sensor but I couldn't get it to work with the tablet. If you can use a PC you can use the full software, like the google maps stuff.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    It will connect to your ipad (as long as is generation 3 or above) via bluetooth and has its own built in cadence sensor which works by sensing the torque pattern through the wheel (I was dubious but it is accurate, I checked). Your garmin HRM strap will not connect to the ipad unless you get an ant+ receiver for the ipad. They do these for 30 pin connector but not for the new lightening connector so if you are on an older ipad you would need the 30pin to lightning adapter from apple (dont buy the cheap knock off ones, they don't work)

edit: If you do go the bluetooth route it may be easier to buy a heart rate strap which works via bluetooth for a cleaner setup.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thanks.. I emailed Tacx and asked what ant+ adaptors come with the kit. They said no adaptors come with it, but that might be just for the TDF edition I'm looking at.
  • thanks.. I emailed Tacx and asked what ant+ adaptors come with the kit. They said no adaptors come with it, but that might be just for the TDF edition I'm looking at.

They're right, you don't get any sensors or adaptors etc, you're expected to have the equipment for it to work with.