Riding in South Africa, Durban/Cape Town

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited January 2016 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to South Africa for a few weeks in April and wondering if there are any rides that are a must do in and around my other plans.

Cheers
Flan
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• I'm off to South Africa for a few weeks in April and wondering if there are any rides that are a must do in and around my other plans.

Cheers
    Flan

Was in Cape Town a couple of years ago at this time of year. Do the coast road South towards the Cape, very beautiful. Also cycling around Table and Lions Head mountains (both very close to the city) is nice.

But watch out, there are many tales of cyclist muggings. Locals carry MACE in their jerseys.....
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'm off to South Africa for a few weeks in April and wondering if there are any rides that are a must do in and around my other plans.

Cheers
    Flan

Was in Cape Town a couple of years ago at this time of year. Do the coast road South towards the Cape, very beautiful. Also cycling around Table and Lions Head mountains (both very close to the city) is nice.

But watch out, there are many tales of cyclist muggings. Locals carry MACE in their jerseys.....

Yeah pretty aware of being careful where I am, where I stop etc. bit like driving, especially in J'berg. did you hire a bike or pack your own?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • I'm off to South Africa for a few weeks in April and wondering if there are any rides that are a must do in and around my other plans.

Cheers
    Flan

Yeah pretty aware of being careful where I am, where I stop etc. bit like driving, especially in J'berg. did you hire a bike or pack your own?

Normally I would take my own, but as it was kind of a romantic getaway for two, I thought it wiser to just hire one for a few days!

Cheers
    Flan

Can't help you with Durban, but I ride in Cape Town every year. This is my priority list in order.

1. The route of the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Check their website for it. Just start at Muizenberg.
    2. The route of the Cape Town Cycle Tour backwards. Finish at Muizenberg and include Boyes Drive at the end.
    3. Betty's Bay to Gordon's Bay.
    4. Franschoek Pass.
    5. Check our the routes followed by the Cape Roleur around the winelands.

Locals do not carry mace in Cape Town. Having said that the standard of driving is not up to european standards. This, coupled with the fact that it is often easier to do one way routes rather than loops means we do things differently.

For £75 per day we hire a VW van with a driver. He picks us up, takes us and our bikes to wherever we want to ride, and follows us with the van holding food spares etc. By being close behind we get protected from traffic and any other potential security issues.

He then takes us to wherever we are going for "recovery" food and drink even into the evening, so no taxis and plenty of wine.

Perhaps I should trade you one of my South African trips for one of your Mallorca ones. :D

The van can take five riders with bikes, so per head it is well worth it IMHO, even with only two of you. The driver also does the airport transfers, so another saving.