Cheap road cycling holiday suggestions

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited January 2016 in Road general
Broke daddy (me) would like to ride up a mountain. Ideas please. Cheers!

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Tenerife
    AirBnB
    Stay away from the coastal resorts
    Self cater
    Plan and book it all yourself.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Easy jet to Pescara
    Air b'n'b
    Ride the mountains of the Abruzzo as per the Giro and Ironman Italia.
    Eat masses of pizza, drink liters of vino Rosso, gaze at the most beautiful women in the world whilst eating gelati, drinking espresso and swimming in bath tub water hot seas.

That's what I'll be doing this summer - thank you tax payers!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stuart Hall in Majorca is unbeatable value for money.

You'd be hard pushed to do it cheaper on your own, and it's almost cheaper than staying at home (if you have a big house to heat!)
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Easy jet to Pescara
    Air b'n'b
    Ride the mountains of the Abruzzo as per the Giro and Ironman Italia.
    Eat masses of pizza, drink liters of vino Rosso, gaze at the most beautiful women in the world whilst eating gelati, drinking espresso and swimming in bath tub water hot seas.

That's what I'll be doing this summer - thank you tax payers!

Another vote for Abruzzo. My sister said it was nicer than Tuscany when she came out, and it is a lot cheaper and quieter. I finished a cycling ambition of mine last summer, riding from the coast to the top of the Blockhaus mountain and back -

https://www.strava.com/activities/387242308
  • Calpe.
    Cheap flights to Alicante.
    Cheap accommodation e.g. Sol y Mar 4* hotel Quickstep use for training camps, £45 per night for twin room.
    Great weather all year round.
    Mountains all year round.
    You'll probably see some pro's out training.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    Head for the lakes and ride some big passes
    http://www.ratherbecycling.co.uk/cycling-holidays/uk/lakeland-passes-the-big-six/
    Or head for the highlands or North Wales?
  • Apologies for the hijack - do you hire bikes out there or take your bike? If the latter do you bike box? The worry on a baggage handler trashing my bike is putting me off doing something like this.
  • canaries. im going to lanzarote on Monday.pretty much guaranteed sunshine,good roads,plenty of climbs,cheap to get too at this time of year and cheap accommodation (flights £90 accomadtion £80 per person).plenty of good bike hire shops.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    £80 return from Luton to Lyon. €30 train to Albertville. Airbnb has places from about €20 a night. Middle of the alps, Semnos, Forclaz, Joly, Saisies, Pre, Roseland...

If you can stay nearer Beaufort, it'll be even more convenient.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Im in Mallorca for a month at the moment. 18 pound a night for a private refurbed apartment which is 1500 for the month in the summer. 250 quid for the flights for 2 including my bike box. 100 quid for the car for the month. Absolute bargain.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. Looks like we're going to give Wales a bash and maybe do Mallorca or Tenerife later in the year.

Anyone got any suggestions/links for routes or BnBs in Wales?
  • Im in Mallorca for a month at the moment. 18 pound a night for a private refurbed apartment which is 1500 for the month in the summer. 250 quid for the flights for 2 including my bike box. 100 quid for the car for the month. Absolute bargain.

Jealous! You're not wrong that is amazing value. Alright if you can take a month off work, but worth it.

Still chilly on the tops I expect?
  • Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. Looks like we're going to give Wales a bash and maybe do Mallorca or Tenerife later in the year.

Anyone got any suggestions/links for routes or BnBs in Wales?
    If you base yourself around the Criccieth/Porthmadog are you have the best of both worlds. Decent weather head into Snowdonia or if it's iffy in the hills then go West on the Lleyn Peninsula.
    There are great loop rides to do around Snowdonia heading over Pen Y Pass, Llanberris, Betws Coed, Etc. One great little valley is the climb out of Cwm Penmachno towards Ffestiniog coming from Betws Coed.
    If the weather is crap inland the ride down to Harlech and Barmouth then coming back through Dollgellau and Coed Y Brenin, another cracking route.
    Enjoy.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    We did Mallorca, flights and self catering (from Manchester) for £130pp last year, based in Alcudia. Hired bikes and drank the Lidl bevvy! Couldn't go wrong...

Valkenburg in Holland is an excellent cycling location, and can be warm and sunny in the summer! Good for caravanning!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Im in Mallorca for a month at the moment. 18 pound a night for a private refurbed apartment which is 1500 for the month in the summer. 250 quid for the flights for 2 including my bike box. 100 quid for the car for the month. Absolute bargain.

Jealous! You're not wrong that is amazing value. Alright if you can take a month off work, but worth it.

Still chilly on the tops I expect?

Im the only guy here in shorts and jersey and havent been cold yet, even first thing but I dont feel the chill as much as some. Proper cracks me up seeing the locals with neck buff things on and its been 18 degrees plus most days!

Still amazes me seeing the pro's around. I think I see more people riding back home than I have this time of year here though.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Semaine Federale (Dijon, France this year).
  • I'd love to go back to Mallorca again, accommodation is quite cheap but flights are not!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    We are booked to go to Tenerife in late March, just a regular week away but I thought I'd take the opportunity to hire a bike and get a couple of rides in, hopefully Mt Tiede.

We are staying in Las Calettillas, with no hire care, so Bike Point wont deliver. A company called CanariasXperience will do, but are asking for a deposit by bank transfer, final settlement by the same and a 300 euro cash deposit. Not only will all those methods 'cost' me (25 euros per bank transfer plus exchange rates/commision on the cash) but also reduces my protection.

Is this normal? Or can anyone else suggest alternatives, near Santa Cruz if that helps.

Many thanks :)

EDIT - The company have taken a deposit via Paypal, so its sorted now.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I'd love to go back to Mallorca again, accommodation is quite cheap but flights are not!

Where are you looking to fly from? Maybe consider a drive to Bristol, Gatwick, etc.

With Egpyt, Tunisia, etc. off the menu, I think Spain and close Europe generally will be more popular than before...thus taking up flight seats.

Where are you looking to fly from? Maybe consider a drive to Bristol, Gatwick, etc.

With Egpyt, Tunisia, etc. off the menu, I think Spain and close Europe generally will be more popular than before...thus taking up flight seats.

Newcastle. Problem usually is that once you take into account fuel for driving there or taxi / train, parking charges or possible overnight stays, then the cost gets more than just flying from Newcastle.

We'd looked at flying from Leeds before, while it would have been some £100 cheaper, by the time you do the 150 mile round trip and pay for parking, vs get the in-laws to drive us to Newcastle airport, it ends up costing more!