Drop off triple top out

matt2212
matt2212 Posts: 25
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a pair of marzocchi drop of triples and they have a top out even at lower pressures then they should have for my weight with no pressure in the left leg any idea how to stop this I has been told it may need thicker oil but I don't know how much oil is needed or what thickness is needed thanks for any help Matt

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your looking at increased rebound damping, so have you tried just adjusting it first? If not thicker oil in the damper (right) leg would increase the damping further.

Has the damper got any oil in at all right now?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is it the 888? They need regular damper services and they're getting to the age where they just get neglected now and people wonder why the damping doesn't work.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    If they are the the older ones from 05 onward they are a very basic fork,i had some on a Kona Stinky 05,the first thing i did was change them as there was nearly no adjustment on them,i needed to add air as i'm not the lightest of people,but then they were worse for riding,I used to put up with them bottoming out so they felt supple at the top,these were usually OEM on lower end bikes,try and find some 05-07 Marzocchi 66RC2X 170mm,there is not many about but will be a good change,some still come up on pinkbike,also there was a 170mm travel 888 as well
  • How do you increase rebound dampened?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If they are the the older ones from 05 onward they are a very basic fork

That depends on which variant they are. There were a few levels ranging from basic and unadjustable (except rebound) up to pretty good, with plenty of adjustment.
  • Do you know how to adjusted the dampening on the forks I have because they have no external adjusters
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not familiar with that fork, but the rebound damper adjuster on 99% of forks (with adjustment) is under the right hand leg (when sitting on bike), it's possible the knob has been lost of course.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.