Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

700c rear wheel disc brake for turbo

volvo_fatboyvolvo_fatboy Posts: 69
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, looking for any help/info advice on buying a spare wheel for my winter bike to use on a tacx turbo.

Looking at a Mavic Aksium One Disc, which is 23mm external width, 17mm internal and recommended tyres are 25 to 32mm. Current tacx turbo tyre is 23c. I feel that a 23c should be ok on an Aksium but am I right?

Do I need to be looking at changing to a different turbo tyre or a different wheel?

I want as cheap a solution as possible. :D

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

• arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,538
    Hi, looking for any help/info advice on buying a spare wheel for my winter bike to use on a tacx turbo.

Looking at a Mavic Aksium One Disc, which is 23mm external width, 17mm internal and recommended tyres are 25 to 32mm. Current tacx turbo tyre is 23c. I feel that a 23c should be ok on an Aksium but am I right?

Do I need to be looking at changing to a different turbo tyre or a different wheel?

I want as cheap a solution as possible. :D

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

More a question of whether your frame will accept a disc wheel. The OLD on disc wheels is 135mm whereas a normal road frame wheel is 130mm. If yours is a non-disc frame then the question is whether there is enough give in the rear end to expand the drop-outs to accept the wider hub.

Once you've tackled that issue you can worry about tyres
  • Sorry should of said, bike is the new Cannondale synapse 105 Disc, bought as my winter/turbo bike. I plan on using a spare wheel with tacx tyre permanently left on it for the turbo and then swap it with the original wheel for winter rides. I'm just buying a disc brake capable wheel but not attaching a brake disc.
  • Sorry should have said, bike is the new Cannondale synapse 105 Disc, bought as my winter/turbo bike. I plan on using a spare wheel with tacx tyre permanently left on it for the turbo and then swap it with the original wheel for winter rides. I'm just buying a disc brake capable wheel but not attaching a brake disc.

Don't forget to put a spacer in between the pads then, in case you accidentally brake. For the cost I'd buy a disc to avoid the aggro.
  • So would a 23c tyre be acceptable on a wheel supposedly for 25c and above?

Or are there any cheap disc brake wheels suited to 23c tyres?
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Unless I've misunderstood - just use your normal wheel and see how you go ?

My turbo doesn't wear the tyre any more than being on the road does. So no point in the hassle and expense of new wheel and tyre ?
  • No u haven't misunderstood Fenix, I've obliterated normal road tyres on my turbo in very quick time, so want to use a specific turbo tyre which has lasted a hell of a lot longer.

I can pick up a spare Aksium disc wheel for about £60 and already have a spare cassette which means I can change wheels to suit with relative ease. It's easier to change the wheels over rather than go through the hassle of changing the tyres over.