Keeping fit without riding

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
I'm shortly to go in for an op which will make cycling a no-no for a month (possibly) during February :( - no details but let's just say that the op's in the "shorts" area! :oops:

Anyway, want to get back to riding ASAP so what can I do to keep fit off the bike that won't hurt me but will maintain some element of cycling fitness????

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you can, try doing weight exercises. Deadlifts, weighted squats and lunges for the legs muscles

Sit ups and half sits and any other ab training for core strength.

CV wise try and do something like rowing as its non impact training.

I will be off the bike for a few months soon and I will probably do the same with a bit of running included.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I'm shortly to go in for an op which will make cycling a no-no for a month (possibly) during February :( - no details but let's just say that the op's in the "shorts" area! :oops:

Anyway, want to get back to riding ASAP so what can I do to keep fit off the bike that won't hurt me but will maintain some element of cycling fitness????

If you're going under GA - I would just take the hit and rest. Your body needs time to repair - let it have it....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Without wishing to pry, it depends on the nature of the procedure really. If you're off the bike because you'll not be able to sit on a saddle, could you do some hill repeats while standing? Would swimming be possible?
    If it means you can't move your legs much because it would be jiggling sensitive areas about, then it's going to be tricky. Upper body weights possibly, although that's bugger all use to a cyclist...

After my vasectomy despite the warnings of lasting discomfort I found I could get back on the bike in a week. I'm thinking you might be in for something less trivial though...
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Sounds like swimming is your best bet
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    run up some stairs...or use a gym step machine...
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    Swimming is a good choice to keep you fit without give too much pressure on your joints.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, not sure about swimming, best check with the consultant. If you have stitches then I thought the advice was to keep them as dry as possible, with the odd squirt of wound wash. Prolonged contact with water will not only soften up everything making a rupture more likely but you will be effectively washing it with the rinse of about 250* other people, so infection becomes a lot more likely even with chlorine in the water.

* approximately, based on nothing scientific whatsoever.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The usual advise after most surgical procedures is to avoid exercise in any case. From a few days to a few weeks, depending on the procedure and/or the recovery period. So I wouldn't be expecting you get out of hospital and start getting your HR up straight away....
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I would just go for long, brisk walks. If you've been told you can't cycle for a while then doing anything strenuous like weightlifting is going to cause more damage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After any op it makes sense to lay off the exercise. But that does not mean you should just jump back on the bike after a given period without building up to it by doing less strenuous low impact exercise. Sooner or later you are going to want to start exercising again before its suitable to ride. In that time weights , swimming etc are a good way to get back into some form of activity
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Will you be able to run?

I work 9-5 monday to friday and I'm not in a position to cycle to work and so during winter I get far less time on the bike and so run 2 to 3 evenings a week, just a 20-30 minute run and then go to the gym one evening a week and do 20 minutes of weights, 10 minutes rowing and 20 mins on the spin bike (which you probably wont be able to do) but it means I can easily maintain my level of fitness during winter. I didn't bother with the gym during december but ran 2 evenings a week and it was enough to prevent my fitness levels dropping too much.

One tip for running, if you are not normally a runner, is to get your foot pronation measured so as to get the correct type shoes and then invest in a good pair. The difference between cheap shoes and more expensive brands is night and day.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    mmm, not sure about swimming, best check with the consultant. If you have stitches then I thought the advice was to keep them as dry as possible, with the odd squirt of wound wash. Prolonged contact with water will not only soften up everything making a rupture more likely but you will be effectively washing it with the rinse of about 250* other people, so infection becomes a lot more likely even with chlorine in the water.

* approximately, based on nothing scientific whatsoever.

+1 to this

I know someone who works in a leisure centre, the stories I've heard about the pools make me squirm, regardless of whether the chlorination system is working properly.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    Without wishing to hijack the thread, I'm in a similar boat here.

5 weeks ago I had a Mountain bike accident resulting in a fractured patellar and torn tendons in my left leg. I'm not in a cast but do have to wear a cricket pad splint and am in crutches.

Other than doing some core work I'm really struggling to think of exercise that I can do to keep up any cardiovascular fitness. Any ideas?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I find going to the pub and back on crutches is more than enough cardiovascular exercise for me.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I would use the time to let your body recover. If you are able to swim or walk then do so, but after any op a period of rest and recovery is the priority.

Just make sure you eat sensibly whilst you're out of action.

Hope the op goes well and you make a swift recovery
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Quick update - and a big thanks to all of you for advice and support

Op now 4 weeks ago, still not fully healed and have had some minor wound infection (now cleared up). Am going to try a bit of turbo work maybe but don't want to risk making wound worse...fingers crossed

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    All the best SS - sure you will be fine.

Keep us posted.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    SecretSam wrote:

I think you're worried about nothing. A month is nothing. Even if you do nothing for the month except be a couch potato, you'll be right back in the swing of things before ya know it. Maybe swing wasn't the right word? Anyway, I broke my leg(tibia and fibula) 4 months ago and haven't been allowed to put any weight on it since. I've been doing some light upper body weight training(can't hurt). I see the Doctor this coming Monday and am hoping to be allowed to start weight bearing on my leg. Maybe ever light riding on a trainer. Hope so. Just take it easy, heal, and you'll be back before ya know it. Me? I may be 2 or 3 months out yet. I see insanity fast approaching if that's what the Doc tells me.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm going on holiday at the end of May and circumstance means cycling likely won't play a part. Although it's only a week and perhaps the rest will do me good. I'm more worried about piling the weight on than anything.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Eat a little less? Walk more? A week off the bike won't harm you.