Commuter/Winter bike tyres

Jdon
Jdon Posts: 45
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, This seasons CX bike is about to be retired from the mud and to become my permanent commuter. I was just wondering everybody's thoughts on tyres. I will be using the bike year round on some pretty bad roads/ lanes, Also I live just north of Oldham so bad weather is a given. I had been sold on Marathon plus's but weight and getting the tyre on and off have put me off a little, I have been using this; http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/171398-buyers-guide-best-tyres-keep-you-cycling-through-winter as my guide. I quite like the look of the Panaracer Gravel Kings aswell. Any experience's would be great. Thanks :mrgreen:

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi guys, This seasons CX bike is about to be retired from the mud and to become my permanent commuter. I was just wondering everybody's thoughts on tyres. I will be using the bike year round on some pretty bad roads/ lanes, Also I live just north of Oldham so bad weather is a given. I had been sold on Marathon plus's but weight and getting the tyre on and off have put me off a little, I have been using this; http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/171398-buyers-guide-best-tyres-keep-you-cycling-through-winter as my guide. I quite like the look of the Panaracer Gravel Kings aswell. Any experience's would be great. Thanks :mrgreen:

Been running Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28mm, firstly on my Equilibrium Disc and currently on my Planet X London Road. No p***t***s in 6 months - smooth and quick. No problems with fitting - these are on H Plus Son Archetype rims.

Can't comment on any of the others but I'm sure others will be along with their experiences.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I have 37C Continental Sport Contacts on my London Road. I've found them to be absolutely fine (no flats, good grip), but they feel a bit slow and heavy to me. For the future I'm considering the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance based on Arlo's recommendation, but maybe leaning towards the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. It comes in 35C, is lighter than my sport contacts and seems to be rated for being grippy and reasonably tough.

I've considered the Gravel Kings, but got the impression they might be a bit too prone to punctures to serve as a winter commuting tyre.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Another Pro4 Endurance fan here. Two winters with no visits from the fairies despite the awful flinty lanes I ride.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you are going to be riding on the road then the Schwalbe Durano Plus Folding in 25c is a good compromise of weight, durability, grip, rolling resistance and puncture resistance. I rode Marathon Pluses for over 10000 km and these are the next best thing. If you are planning to ride off road then you probably need something different.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've been using the Marathon Plus for a few years now. I don't recall an issue with getting them on - and once they are on - then thats them sorted ! OK they may be heavy - but you could probably mitigate that by leaving innertubes and levers and pump behind ;-)

And what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger.

I'd rather have a pretty bombproof solution that keeps me moving than a faster option that might be more vulnerable.
  • I've been using Michelin pro4 endurance 28mm as my summer tyre for my cx commuter. Really, really rate them...until they started to puncture after a couple of thousand miles. 40 minutes of pain later the tube will have been replaced and the tyres back on. It may well be rim specific...but my god they (for me) are painful to get on and off.

So put my proper winter tyres back on - vittoria randonneur pro (£17 each from ribble) they are comfortable, have not punctured and are relatively easy to get on and off. Currently have the 35mm version on but are waiting for some 32mm to come in the post. The lower tyre pressures you need 60-70psi max mean less punctures it seems
  • I can't use them on what is my only working bike these days (the Felt F5C struggles to fit anything much more than 25c), but I really like the compromises of Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my now dead Saracen Pylon8, in terms of speed for tarmac and grip for off-road (and wet tarmac).

Lots of different model sizes, if I ever sort out my new bike dilemma (must be hydraulics discs, can't decide between rigid hybrid (Voodoo Marassa); good bang for the buck 26" hardtail (Calibre Two Two); proper hydraulic do-it-all drop bar bike (Pinnacle Arkose 2 2015 or singlespeed), I would definitely buy a set of these tyres if my current 26x2.00s don't fit... If they were not on my better half's Saracen Zena nicked last summer!

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-reader/land-cruiser.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Another vote for Pro4 Endurance, this time 25mm. Was very tempted by the 28mm version, but seeing as my 25's seem to regularly size up as being 27mm wide on various rims, I've stuck with what I know. Wiggle were doing them for £20 each a week or so back...the 28's were a touch more expensive and wasn't sure whether they'd fit under the 'guards on the Tifosi
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    if I ever sort out my new bike dilemma (must be hydraulics discs, can't decide between rigid hybrid (Voodoo Marassa); good bang for the buck 26" hardtail (Calibre Two Two); proper hydraulic do-it-all drop bar bike (Pinnacle Arkose 2 2015 or singlespeed)

Arkose Singlespeed! :wink: 40mm tyre clearance. Fast, comfy, versatile...Go for the Arkose 2 if you need gears, or have lots of hills to negotiate.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • if I ever sort out my new bike dilemma (must be hydraulics discs, can't decide between rigid hybrid (Voodoo Marassa); good bang for the buck 26" hardtail (Calibre Two Two); proper hydraulic do-it-all drop bar bike (Pinnacle Arkose 2 2015 or singlespeed)

Arkose Singlespeed! :wink: 40mm tyre clearance. Fast, comfy, versatile...Go for the Arkose 2 if you need gears, or have lots of hills to negotiate.

After reading your PM reply from last night, this afternoonI I measured up my Felt against the height your bars and saddle are, its very close and I'm using something like an 80mm ~20 degree stem on the Felt! So I was 95% sure I was going to order the medium singlespeed... Only I lost track of time while doing chores in the garage and I missed the 1500 cut-off point for next day delivery by ~5mins, so I have another sleepless night ahead pondering! :lol:

I have a ~120ft, 0.5 mile hill to ascend on the way home, it was doable with the Tricross Singlecross (albeit some days more of a struggle after a physical shift at work), so the Arkose Singlespeed should be fine.

If I pull the trigger, I think a set of Land Cruiser 35mm+ will be ordered, perhaps a set of Schwalbe studded tyres too that can take the strain of my current ~95Kg all layered up weight! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo