Rapha PT winter hat

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
I have an old one of these and it leaves a stupid red indentation on my forehead.

Is it just me, or has the newer version changed to make the elastic less brutal which is why so many are on eBay? I have a newer PT normal cap which is fine.

Failing that can anyone recommend a cap which does ears and has a peak? The PT one is awesome except that I look like a fuckin eejit when I get to work for a couple of hours.

Comments

• I remember the days when five pounds did mean something to you and you were after recycling worn out hubs... did you go up the banking ladder and into the 5-figure bonus pool by any chance? :lol::wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Oh, believe me, not much has changed. I did treat myself to a brand new, 7 year old bike a couple of years ago. I sold it and reverted to a second hand one in the autumn as it wasn't my style being so flash :).

The PT caps were a good deal (2 for 10 quid for the summer ones and about 20 for the winter one).

As for the other thread - I still ride 105 with absolutely no complaints, don't worry.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Yes the new one is much better, not bigger just more forgiving, the original one gave me a headache (seriously)!
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Prendas have one which is good also Giro & Castelli make them.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 for the Prenda hats. Very cosy.
  • Anonymous
    Also read this on the Rapha website. Gonna go for it

"Had the previous version. Warm hat on cold days. But the shadow edge, made a Line on the forehead witch was irritating doing the ride. Saw there was a new fit, and it turned out it was much better!! It is very comfortable and i enjoying to wear it now - doing the complete ride - without irritation."
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got the Castelli Windstopper cap with my post xmas Wiggle order and after a couple of outings I think it's the dog's danglies. Not too hot, not too cold, wind and waterproof
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Madison do one that's online at sigma sport for around £14.50. They're also on sigma sports eBay store.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    VeloRevolution do a really nice one for €20.
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • I find the heavier hats too warm. This is just right: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-windproof-cycling-helmet-liner-id_8315773.html and cheap too at £12.
  • I have an old one of these and it leaves a stupid red indentation on my forehead.

Is it just me, or has the newer version changed to make the elastic less brutal which is why so many are on eBay? I have a newer PT normal cap which is fine.

Failing that can anyone recommend a cap which does ears and has a peak? The PT one is awesome except that I look like a fuckin eejit when I get to work for a couple of hours.

Yep had the same problem as you. I had the previous model and it left a big dent in my forehead, emailed Rapha and they admitted that the new model eliminated the problem so they sent me the latest one FOC!

Nik
  • Yep had the same problem as you. I had the previous model and it left a big dent in my forehead, emailed Rapha and they admitted that the new model eliminated the problem so they sent me the latest one FOC!

Nik

I'm going to send an email tomorrow!
  • Anonymous
    Have emailed them but bought the new one anyway.

Much more comfortable and performed excellently in a 0 degree chaingang this eve. The forehead band is better but after 2 hours of wearing it did leave a mark (fainter than the old one) and I still have it 30 mins later, frustratingly.

Technically excellent, cosmetically I now look like a tool.