What to carry when riding? Tubeless emergency repairs??

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Just wondered what people carry to fix punctures in tubeless tyres when out riding and what other bits and pieces you carry for emergency repairs??

I had a 2cm split in my tubeless tyre, luckily I had some gaffa tape which I laid inside the tyre and then fitted a tube, then slowly rode back home.

Any other tips/tricks??

Jay

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    For something that big - a tube and a piece of card!

I use the Panaracer tubeless repair kit (well, I've used it once, put two strips side by side in a Team XR Mud and it held beautifully) and it's doable at the trailside but not for a split/cut that size. Best bet is to always have a tube (again, only ever had one puncture bad enough in tubeless that needed to have a tube in it) and just be prepared (pliers) to get the valve out and drop the tube in.*

*FFS remember to work your way around the tyre removing all the detritus that your tubeless set up has stopped from ruining your rides for the last few months, otherwise it's going to be a patch or two going on the tube very quickly! This removal can take forever depending on where you ride and how much rubbish is in the tyre!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JGTR
    *FFS remember to work your way around the tyre removing all the detritus that your tubeless set up has stopped from ruining your rides for the last few months, otherwise it's going to be a patch or two going on the tube very quickly! This removal can take forever depending on where you ride and how much rubbish is in the tyre!

Good point, removed 4 thorns when I swapped from summer to winter tyres! Didn't check when I had the puncture last week, very lucky the tube held!
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Just as a slightly off camber thought, if you are carrying the weight of a tube to repair a tubeless tyre with, doesn't that negate the weight benefit of running tubeless in the first place? Or is rotational mass different?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes it's lighter by a little bit, the benefits mainly come from running lower pressures.
  • lostboysaint
    Yes it's lighter by a little bit, the benefits mainly come from running lower pressures.

And not stopping to repair punctures! (in 5 years of running tubeless I've only had to stop twice)

The "just in case" tube is in your pack or your pocket, so the same as you eating that extra packet of crisps - not static weight (or additional rotational mass) on the bike.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JGTR
    If I was worried about weight I'd stop eating pies!! I run tubeless so I get less punctures, this is my first one in 2 years.
  • CO2 Inflator and a decent multi-tool with pliers that will romove the thorns in the tyre before your emergency tube go's in. Ive been running tubeless for 18 months and only had to stick my emergency tube in once, due too a knackered sidewall incident.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193

Thanks and never though of that. My tyres will be littered as I must have had 20+ punctures this year.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Just as a slightly off camber thought, if you are carrying the weight of a tube to repair a tubeless tyre with, doesn't that negate the weight benefit of running tubeless in the first place? Or is rotational mass different?
    People running tubes would likely be carrying a spare too, so you're still loosing weight by comparison.

Edit: Don't like the idea of being "off Camber"!!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    if you are carrying the weight of a tube to repair a tubeless tyre with, doesn't that negate the weight benefit of running tubeless in the first place? Or is rotational mass different?
    If you were running tubes you'd still be carrying a spare.....

Yes you still save on the rotational inertia with tubeless as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mini Pump, Tube, Instant Tubeless Liquid Plug, Tyre Lever, Washing Up Liquid if I'm running a tight tyre/combination. And food bars in case I get stuck out for longer than anticipated.

Ability to run lower pressures and not suffer superficial punctures far out weigh to small weight advantage for me.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless - lower rolling resistance too, quite significant with bigger volume tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I carry the Genuine innovations "tyre worms" as of tomorrow. These useful things get inserted into the hole that is too big to seal and the sealant does the rest of the work. Only works for tubeless. A set of these and some CO2 is all I carry. I don't bother with a spare tube as I often forget.

I struggle to understand why anyone still uses inner tubes on anything but a old bike with old fashioned rims. I can run low pressures 20 psi or below depending on the tyre. I rode through stuff today that would normally have stopped me on my old retro with tubes. Given I ride rigid low pressure is a must.

Then again on my other 29er I use tubs and have no quams about going out for a long ride with nothing as I can't carry a spare tub. I always get home. I don't like fragile tyres for tubeless or tubs.

It is not just the lower rolling resistance that is noticeable it is the grip and comfort. There is no downside.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    A tube and a pump. Until something happens which would require me to carry more, I won't . Apart from the main advantages, I converted to tubeless so that I don't have to carry loads of extra kit around.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • lostboysaint
    I carry the Genuine innovations "tyre worms" as of tomorrow. These useful things get inserted into the hole that is too big to seal and the sealant does the rest of the work. Only works for tubeless. A set of these and some CO2 is all I carry. I don't bother with a spare tube as I often forget.

Same as the Panaracer kit but already cut. The Panaracer kit has a mini pair of scissors so that you can cut the rubber thread to size for the hole.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The ghetto fix is to stuff the tyre with grass. I've only done it once but it beats pushing the bike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: