Cost of 4 bolt outer shimano chainrings

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Seems they cost about only £10 less as a complete new crankset? :shock:

Comments

• Seems to be Shimano business model... and not only Shimano's.. they sell you a groupset cheap and expensive spare parts. It is the very reason I went from 10 speed to 9 instead of 11. Everything 9 speed costs 20% of the equivalent 11 speed, like for like: chains, cassettes etc...

Is there any 4 bolt chainring in the aftermarket?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Seems to be Shimano business model... and not only Shimano's.. they sell you a groupset cheap and expensive spare parts. It is the very reason I went from 10 speed to 9 instead of 11. Everything 9 speed costs 20% of the equivalent 11 speed, like for like: chains, cassettes etc...

?

Yup - this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I bought a custom made aero carbon fibre chainring for mine just over half the cost of a new dura ace one. Also meant I could use normal chainring bolts. Ridiculous!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Seems they cost about only £10 less as a complete new crankset? :shock:

Stronglight
    Bike24 doing outers for 90e

but you can get 5800 outer for 50e and the 6800 for 80e from them, way less than a new crankset.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The DA rings are about £100 at the moment which seems reasonable VFM given the cost of the crankset.

I have a 36 ultegra inner sitting in a drawer at the moment although not sure what I'm ever going to do with it.
  • The DA rings are about £100 at the moment which seems reasonable VFM given the cost of the crankset.
    That’s a creative way to look at value for money. Well done!
  • Anonymous
    Well the whole crankset is £250 quid so represents relatively good VFM compared to Ultegra and 105 where as noted the rings are £10 less than the whole chainset.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Well the whole crankset is £250 quid so represents relatively good VFM compared to Ultegra and 105 where as noted the rings are £10 less than the whole chainset.

where can you buy a new 5800 crankset for 63 euros? or a 6800 crankset for 100e?
  • Pricing is interesting... I bought a CX 50 chainset for 50 quid last year, it's basically the same thing as a road chainset. I just bought a Zee single chainset, 50 quid or so, again same thing, but one ring only.

I am not quite sure why the upper ones cost more, given they are the same thing. In Campagnolo's world you pay for carbon, but here what exactly are you paying for?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous

where can you buy a new 5800 crankset for 63 euros? or a 6800 crankset for 100e?

Sorry mamba just taken from the OP where he says £10 less than full chainset
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pricing is interesting... I bought a CX 50 chainset for 50 quid last year, it's basically the same thing as a road chainset. I just bought a Zee single chainset, 50 quid or so, again same thing, but one ring only.

I am not quite sure why the upper ones cost more, given they are the same thing. In Campagnolo's world you pay for carbon, but here what exactly are you paying for?

I also fitted a CX50 chainset. If I ever wear either of the rings out I can replace them with any old 5 bolt rings as long as the BCD is right.

With the 4 bolt Shimano chainsets the outer ring looks quite complicated. The ring itself seems to be extensively machined, and then it's bonded to that moulded outer face thing. Presumably this resulting hollow structure is claimed to be stiffer that a conventional flat chainring??

As an honourary Yorkshireman I'm not sure I'll be installing anything that means a new chainring will cost me £100 :shock:
  • Moonbiker
    I meant the 4700 chainset for the pricing

TA & Stronglight do some aftermarket 4 bolt rings but doesn't mention 4700 compatibily only ultegra & 105

http://www.acycles.co.uk/specialites-ta ... 8IJ-A#null

I stuck with 10 speed 4700 for cheaper chains & cassetes but overlooked the 4 bolt so no more zicral for me, jusr a new chainset when the rings wear out.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Check the ex-display sections of the online retailers - I paid £66 for an unmarked 6800 Ultegra crank set.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Need a new outer ring soon argh...

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... C%7C%7C%7C

£37 from germany :evil: