Planet X pro carbon speed wobble, questions

2»

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Or just ride it. The bike sounds fine and I don't know anyone who tests a bike like this ? It rides well - theres no play ? Go for it.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Or just ride it. The bike sounds fine and I don't know anyone who tests a bike like this ? It rides well - theres no play ? Go for it.

I've sent PX a message to see what they think about this but thanks for the replies and the assitance.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Have you minutely examined the fork for cracks ? I guess it's conceivable that it got damaged in transit..(or in the warehouse before dispatch)
  • zefs
    Have you minutely examined the fork for cracks ? I guess it's conceivable that it got damaged in transit..(or in the warehouse before dispatch)

Yeah, I don't see any cracks.
  • When I bought a pair of those (Planet X pro Carbon) forks a few years ago I was aware of the internet rumour mill about them being "flexy".

In my experience this is nonsense. I have them on a pretty rigid alu frame that has since done several thousand miles including alpine descending (and ascending of course but the point here is high speed sh1tscary downhills), TT-ing and the usual hilly, bumpy stuff round here. They seem absolutely fine and, for the money, very lightweight and well made.

Whatever is "wrong" with your bike, I would say it's not a fork design issue.
  • zefs
    I don't know how it would behave on alu frame. One thing to note is that instead of this:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSPXFBUMK2/planet-x-carbon-steerer-fork-bung-mk-2
    (which I didn't order with the frameset as I had no idea) the LBS used this bung:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-headset-carbon-expander-cap/ - although PX Support said this is fine.

Also the headset is correct. Best bet would be to find another PX pro carbon owner and compare both bikes I guess.
  • I would return to PX and ask for a replacement/refund as it sounds like a manufacturing issue.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    ^ really?! Lol.

The only time I ever turn the bars all the way 90 degrees is to check I havent cut the cable outers too short so I can turn my bars to fit in the bike box, otherwise there is no reason.
    For all I know my bike could act the same!
  • zefs
    Seems like a non-issue in the end and I have gotten used to it after few rides. I hope it stays that way :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think I said that orginally... :-)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    diamonddog wrote:
    The Pro Carbon can feel very light on the front end when you first ride it but after a few rides it's not even noticable. Shorter stems can sometimes make the steering feel more jittery IME.
    Deja vu :)
  • zefs
    Thing is I also changed the stem from 100 to 80mm (not because of the wobble but I was coming from a 56cm top tube) - didn't notice a difference.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    zefs wrote:
    Seems like a non-issue from the start
    FTFY
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    I am scared of my PX because of this reason had an epic wobble at 47mph, bike was built by a fiend a very good mechanic and everything is tight I Running fulcrum quatros 90mm stem but bike feels very short so a longer stem is in order but can feel flex, could I buy another fork?
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • zefs
    pauljoes wrote:
    I am scared of my PX because of this reason had an epic wobble at 47mph, bike was built by a fiend a very good mechanic and everything is tight I Running fulcrum quatros 90mm stem but bike feels very short so a longer stem is in order but can feel flex, could I buy another fork?

Someone mentioned upgrading the fork and the front end became more stable so I guess it depends on the new fork's stiffness. The post was here on bikeradar I think and it was a Deda fork.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    pauljoes wrote:
    Wobbles at speed can happen on any bike no matter what fork/stem/wheels or other components are fitted. A longer stem may help in making the front end feel a bit more planted, I run a 90mm on my small PX frame and it is fine.