Which helmet?

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new road helmet for this year.

Ride in the Alps in the summer so needs to be fairly ventilated.

Ride a colnago c60 if that makes a difference ;-)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Choose one you like - and one that fits. Neither of those two factors can be established by anyone but you though...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1

Go to shop. Try one you like. If it fits - buy it.

Simples.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    I have ordered plenty from Wiggle, CRC, Wheelies and *Koo bikes - all have free returns, so you have the luxury of trying them on in the comfort of your own home, no pressure, and a multitude of choice.

Alternatively, order online to one where you have a local store and can take back in person, ie Halfords, Evans etc etc - In my experience, the shop stock rarely gets anywhere near that of the online warehouses.

My personal recommendation, would be Lazer helmets - switched to them from Rudy Project, which are good aside from the straps, and the comfort and fit is superb - as they have a strap that tightens all around the head, I would suggest they are also more likely to suit more headshapes that other brands.
    Giro has never fitted me for example.

The Lazer Genesis is the one I use, and can frequently be found for £70 or less - an aero shell cover is also available for not many pounds, and a winter liner too.

Enjoy!

*Koo's website seems to have dissapeared, so not sure if the ebay store offers free returns, I suspect not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Giro Atmos for me was a revelation. Hard to tell I had it on, it seemed to be made mainly of holes. Ventilation was excellent. Only replaced it because my son bought it off me because it matched his bike. Went for another Giro, this time an old stock Aeon in colours to match my kit :D

As above, fit is all important, so either go for a bricks and mortar shop where you can try on a few (of their limited stock), or order a selection from online retailers with free returns.

Different makes suit different shaped heads. And if you wear glasses for cycling make sure you do so when trying on helmets; sometimes the helmet will interact with the arms of the specs in an annoying fashion. And if you're seeking the really pro look, check that you can easily / securely stash your specs upside down in the front vents
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    And if you wear glasses for cycling make sure you do so when trying on helmets; sometimes the helmet will interact with the arms of the specs in an annoying fashion. And if you're seeking the really pro look, check that you can easily / securely stash your specs upside down in the front vents

Good call, Kask helmets would not sit with my Oakleys sadly :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    My old Kask gave me cold spots on the back of my head and headaches so I sold it.
    now use a giro Synthe. really comfy and well ventilated.
  • My old Kask gave me cold spots on the back of my head and headaches so I sold it.
    now use a giro Synthe. really comfy and well ventilated.

I've got the giro synth = excellent ventilation last year in Majorca and ......well....er fell for the marketing spiel.....but got it discounted after an off and the giro crash replacement thingy through zyro.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Depends a lot on the shape of your head.If your head head is Met-shaped, the Stradivarius is a very light option and very well ventilated.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er