Cheap Crit/Race Frame?

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
As the saying goes race what you can afford to replace. Looking in my parts bin I pretty much have enough parts to build a bike but I just need a frame to build it around.

Does anyone know any deals or any cheap frames going? I know the CAAD 10 frameset is on offer but wondering if there's anything else I should be looking at? Another possibility I've thought of is the Planet X RT-58 alloy.

I know it won't be the lightest frame in the world for the £200-£400 I'm looking to spend but it won't be the weight holding me back.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X team superlight with full carbon forks as used by the Planet X national road race team a few years ago (and me in cat 1 r/races and duathlons). So it's not too shoddy.

Available brand new, unused and still in the Planet X box from me if you want.

Comes with unused full carbon seat post, stem, b/b, headset, and all within budget.

Light, stiff as, pretty darn pretty.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rozzer32
    Planet X team superlight with full carbon forks as used by the Planet X national road race team a few years ago (and me in cat 1 r/races and duathlons). So it's not too shoddy.

Comes with unused full carbon seat post, stem, b/b, headset, and all within budget.

Thanks for the offer. What size is it? Will need a 52/54 depending on what geometry it is. Feel free to PM to discuss.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Thanks for the offer. What size is it? Will need a 52/54 depending on what geometry it is. Feel free to PM to discuss.

Hi

Unfortunately a 57 so probably too big - thank you very much for the post though.

How about a Giant Cadex in a 54? Now that's proper old Skool retro carbon/Ali loveliness. Crushing people on that would be noteworthy.

Really nice frame, forks, headset, seat post, b/b, stem, bars - all used of course! And well, well within budget!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • A friend has just ordered up a CAD 8 from Pauls cycles. Full build with Sora for £400. Seems like a bargain to me. If I were in your shoes, either ditch and sell what I didn't need or just upgrade the wheels?.
  • rozzer32
    A friend has just ordered up a CAD 8 from Pauls cycles. Full build with Sora for £400. Seems like a bargain to me. If I were in your shoes, either ditch and sell what I didn't need or just upgrade the wheels?.

That's not a bad idea actually. I'd strip it and put the 11 sd group set bits I have on it and wheels I have. Only thing I'd have to get is a bb30 to gxp adapter and a saddle as I can't imagine the one that comes with it will be comfy. Then I could put all the bits I stripped off on eBay. Any money I make just makes the frame cheaper.
  • http://www.condorcycles.com/collections/road-bikes/products/condor-italia-rc-frameset

Condor Italia RC frameset. £50 over budget, but have a 52cm in stock.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    If I needed another bike I'd be all over that CAAD10 like a rash.
  • rozzer32

Yea that's the CAAD10 deal I was on about. Don't know if I should get that or get the CAAD 8 sora they have on offer at the same price and swap the components I have over. If I went the frame route I'd have to buy a seat post, brakes and stem. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible and I'm debating if the CAAD 10 is worth the extra over the 8.
  • amey
    amey Posts: 430
    Less hassle with buying (and building) CAAD10 no? I'd put 105 on it and some OTP wheels like FUlcrum LG 7 or DT Spline from bike24.

If you hate BB30 then caad8.
  • rozzer32
    Less hassle with buying (and building) CAAD10 no? I'd put 105 on it and some OTP wheels like FUlcrum LG 7 or DT Spline from bike24.

I'm fine with bike mechanics and have built most of my previous bikes after buying the parts separate so it's not an issue for me. I've got ultegra 6800 shifters, rear mech, cassette and chain, fulcrum 7 wheels, my p2m power meter and handle bars. So I'd have to get brakes, front mech, stem, seat post and saddle. Plus a bb30 to gxp converter. If I went down the CAAD 8 route I could sell the parts the don't need which would just make the frame cheaper. I'm not sure I'd notice the difference between the 8 and 10.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    You can buy a CAAD 8 fitted with 105 for £750, but Evans are sellng caad 10 with 105 5800 (and team colours) for £850.
    If you're going to put 105 on the CAAD 8 anyway - this way you end up with a better frame.
  • amey
    amey Posts: 430

I'm fine with bike mechanics and have built most of my previous bikes after buying the parts separate so it's not an issue for me. I've got ultegra 6800 shifters, rear mech, cassette and chain, fulcrum 7 wheels, my p2m power meter and handle bars. So I'd have to get brakes, front mech, stem, seat post and saddle. Plus a bb30 to gxp converter. If I went down the CAAD 8 route I could sell the parts the don't need which would just make the frame cheaper. I'm not sure I'd notice the difference between the 8 and 10.

I had a caad10 and I loved it .. miss that bike. Wish I had a need as that frameset is a bargain. I've seen that colour in flesh and no camera can capture the brightness of that red.
  • rozzer32
    I won't be putting 105 on it. I'll be putting on the ultegra bits I have spare.

My 2 options are:

Buy the caad 10 for £400 and spend about another £150 getting the bits I need (seat post, stem, saddle, brakes and front mech).

Or go for the caad 8 sora for £400. Transfer my ultegra bits over to it. Then sell the wheels and sora parts that came with the bike.

So the caad 8 option will work out cheaper but I'll have the lesser frame.
  • Have you considered the Cinelli Experience, short wheelbase and steep angles, ideal for crits...and an excellent price, they are listed on Chicken Cycles.

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=54&sub=125&ord=2
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954

My 2 options are:

Buy the caad 10 for £400 and spend about another £150 getting the bits I need (seat post, stem, saddle, brakes and front mech).

Or go for the caad 8 sora for £400. Transfer my ultegra bits over to it. Then sell the wheels and sora parts that came with the bike.

£150???? for seat post, stem, saddle, brakes and front mech. are you mad?
    What quality of components do you think will be on the Sora equiped bike?
  • The 10 is stiffer, lighter and more aggressive in geometry than the 8. A 6800 build with decent wheels can easily hit 7-7.5 kilos. Very few bikes spring out of a corner like it. I absolutely love mine, and even though I've just bought the silly-bargain priced SuperSix Evo from Paul's, I'll still be using it for most of my hard miles.

Get the 10. An 8 will only leave you wondering. I'd use some kind of temporary BB conversion, because eventually Hollowgrams will sing the siren song.
  • rozzer32

My 2 options are:

£150???? for seat post, stem, saddle, brakes and front mech. are you mad?
    What quality of components do you think will be on the Sora equiped bike?

105 5800 front mech, 5800 brake set, cheap deda seat post and stem comes to about £95 on chain reaction. So then saddle, bar tape could easily be another £50. So yea £150 is about right.