Has the freewheel gone in these Ksyriums.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Basically picked up a set of Ksyrium Equipes with a 10 speed Sram Casette and Vredestien Fortezza tri comps from Cash convertors for £85 ( Yes I did check they had the sellers name and address).

I span them up in the shop and they are a straight as a die. Swapped the set I ve already got in my evo six for these as basically the tyres are 25's and I wanted to put my other set with 23's on my ribble audax which I ride over winter. ( funny its just about the only audax style frame that will only run 23's)

Cut a long story short when I spin them up by turning the cranks , all is good / but when I stop pedalling they still drive the cranks round slightly. Does this not mean the freehub has gone.

My other set don't do this, they just make the freehub noise you get when coasting.

If I actually pedal the bike and stop pedalling , the weight of my feet on the pedals stops this, It only happens when you spin them up in the workstand.

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Probably just need a service. Might be full of gunk, take them apart and clean them out. Should be OK after that.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Ksyriums are known for rather 'heavy' seals on the freehub which drag when coasting. But as they've come from an unknown source I'd be inclined to pull the freehub body and check it hasn't been filled with grease - they're supposed to run in a light oil, e.g. sewing machine oil.
  • tim_wand
    Probably just need a service. Might be full of gunk, take them apart and clean them out. Should be OK after that.

Did think this , but when I was switching Casettes, the freehub body looked pretty clean , no surplus grease, I ll strip it down and check. Thanks.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Don't use grease. Lightly smear with baby oil.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Ksyriums are known for rather 'heavy' seals on the freehub which drag when coasting. But as they've come from an unknown source I'd be inclined to pull the freehub body and check it hasn't been filled with grease - they're supposed to run in a light oil, e.g. sewing machine oil.

Yep, this advice is spot on. I've serviced loads of Mavic freehubs. They're pretty basic. Flush all the old lubricant out from inside the freehub (GT85 is good at removing it, just be sure to wipe it all out before relubricating).

Make sure you clean the pawl springs and the area where the pawls clip into the freehub body. Be careful, as the pawl springs have a bit of a habit of making a break for it, and they are tiny.

A drop of oil on each pawl hinge, a few inside the sawtooth track and a couple on the yellow seal that presses against the rubber cover on the hub is all you need. Sewing machine oil is a great choice, as is gun oil.

The trick to happy Mavic freehubs is to not overlubricate, use a light oil, and service them fairly frequently. The whole job is only 15-20 minutes once you've done it a couple of times.
  • tim_wand
    Ksyriums are known for rather 'heavy' seals on the freehub which drag when coasting. But as they've come from an unknown source I'd be inclined to pull the freehub body and check it hasn't been filled with grease - they're supposed to run in a light oil, e.g. sewing machine oil.

Yep, this advice is spot on. I've serviced loads of Mavic freehubs. They're pretty basic. Flush all the old lubricant out from inside the freehub (GT85 is good at removing it, just be sure to wipe it all out before relubricating).

Make sure you clean the pawl springs and the area where the pawls clip into the freehub body. Be careful, as the pawl springs have a bit of a habit of making a break for it, and they are tiny.

A drop of oil on each pawl hinge, a few inside the sawtooth track and a couple on the yellow seal that presses against the rubber cover on the hub is all you need. Sewing machine oil is a great choice, as is gun oil.

The trick to happy Mavic freehubs is to not overlubricate, use a light oil, and service them fairly frequently. The whole job is only 15-20 minutes once you've done it a couple of times.

Right so a ten mil hex key in the none drive side and a 6? in the drive side to release the free hub body. How the hell do I prevent the springs flying off the pawls. If they do come off , and I find them are they easy to put back in place?
  • These instructions used to be on Mavic's website but I can't find them anymore; here's a copy:
    http://pedal.norvil.net/service/maviccosmos/mavicfreehubservice.pdf

Suggest removing the freehub over a tray to catch anything that drops out. And yes, they're easy to put back together after cleaning and lubing.
  • Basically picked up a set of Ksyrium Equipes with a 10 speed Sram Casette and Vredestien Fortezza tri comps from Cash convertors for £85 ( Yes I did check they had the sellers name and address).

I span them up in the shop and they are a straight as a die. Swapped the set I ve already got in my evo six for these as basically the tyres are 25's and I wanted to put my other set with 23's on my ribble audax which I ride over winter. ( funny its just about the only audax style frame that will only run 23's)

Cut a long story short when I spin them up by turning the cranks , all is good / but when I stop pedalling they still drive the cranks round slightly. Does this not mean the freehub has gone.

My other set don't do this, they just make the freehub noise you get when coasting.

If I actually pedal the bike and stop pedalling , the weight of my feet on the pedals stops this, It only happens when you spin them up in the workstand.

Not necessarily. The plastic bushing on the bottom of the FH body can get dry..Take off the FH body(5mm allens in the axle ends, lefty-loosey), pull FH body off, watch for lost pawls(there are 2), clean and oil(I use Mobil One automotive oil)..reassemble.
    Also, grab FH body when on hub and try to rock back and forth. If a lot of play-yes you need a new FH body.

Not expensive.