Roam 30 hub and xd 11 speed Cassette

benruddle
benruddle Posts: 12
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
So while cleaning the back wheel i gave it a tap to shed water with the cassette face down and it fell off, the cassette that is.

Is this right, a super quick way to clean your free hub or should you only be able to remove cassette buy undoing the lock ring.

also i noted the bearings have started to go crunchy. no play but not smooth. Can i get the bearings replaced? the wheel has only done about 400 miles.

when you put it all back together and screw the axle in it works fine. its a 142 x 12 set up on a canyon spectral 2015

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what came off?
    The lockring so the cassette fell off or the Freehub retention so the freehub came off complete with cassette?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There is no lockring on an XD cassette, the entire cassette screws on, so presumably the whole lot came off.

Plenty of hubs do this - it was a PITA on Hope Pro2s, as they'd fall off constantly. DTs pull off as well. It's not that useful really, you shouldn't need to open it up that often.

400 miles from hub bearings is crap, you can change them, you may have a fight on your hands to get them done FOC, unsure of your reason for asking. There'll be 4 bearings in the rear hub I suspect.