Need lower gearing

Treguard
Treguard Posts: 27
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi All

I'm currently using a PInnacle Arkose 3 2014 but with Continental touring contacts on (37) to commute/ride for fun on the canals and road.

I'm finding that I'm bottoming out quite a lot an spending too long on the lowest gear. It just feels like I need a few more lower gears and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few changes please?

Someone has advised to leave the 50/34T on the front, but change the cassette to something like a 12-32. This would also involve however changing the derailleur I'd imagine, as I think this one supports up to 28 as a maximum?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Specs:-

Frame:

Pinnacle 6061-T6 double butted aluminium alloy
Fork:

Full carbon, tapered steerer
Front Derailleur:

Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur:

Shimano 105 RD-5600-SS
Number of Gears:

Shifters:

Shimano 105 ST-5600
Chainset:

FSA Omega compact
Chainrings:

50/34T
Bottom Bracket:

FSA external
Cassette:

Shimano CS-HG62-10 12-28T
Chain:

KMC nickel finish
Pedals:

Not Supplied
Brakeset:

Avid BB7-SL cable disc
Brake Levers:

Shimano 105 ST-5603
Handlebars:

Pinnacle DB Aluminium shallow-drop bar, 125mm drop, 70mm reach, 440mm width
Stem:

Pinnacle SL Road Ahead stem, 110mm
Headset:

FSA Orbit C-40-ACB (NO.42/ACB) – integrated sealed cartridge bearing – 1-1/8 ACB top, 1.5" ACB lower (for 46/56mm Head Tubes ), W/15mm top cover
Grips:

Shock-proof dual-density microfibre tape
Rims:

Alex CXD26
Front Hub:

Joytech
Rear Hub:

Joytech
Spokes:

Stainless PG
Front Tyre:

Kenda Small Block 8 35C
Rear Tyre:

Kenda Small Block 8 35C
Tubes:

Butyl
Saddle:

FWE Race men’s, black
Seatpost:

Pinnacle Aluminium
Seat Binder:

Single-bolt clamp

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth reading this:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13042089

Then change the title to something like "Need lower gearing" and move to the Road General section for more assistance.
  • Many thanks for the reply. I'll check out the other post and have renamed this one :) Does it need to be an admin who can move posts to other forums?

Thanks in advance
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    34 front to 32ish on the back would be a good change. If you're interested I have a clean low miler 5600GS rear derailleur you can have for a tenner incl P&P (assuming you're in the UK). Otherwise the Tiagra 4601GS would do the job for £20 new.
  • My bike has 50-34 chainset and 11-25 cassette. Tiagra sort cage derailleur. I consider new cassette is needed but short cage derailleur is only good.to 27T cassette, perhaps 28 but not 30 or 32. BTW I struggled with finding anything other than 11-25. 12- 28 or 30T.

Advice I've been given says the 50-34T compact chainset is more likely to cope with a 28T big.cog and the short cage derailleur. There could be issues with crossing of the chain and the chain may need more links.

BTW I'm no expert but I've been researching the same thing. I need to adjust my gearing when loaded.up and/or towing a trailer. I'm kind of needing the gearing to be adjusted slightly lower. I tend to us big ring with the larger 5 cogs in the cassette for most of my riding but towing I find I need to switch between the two chainset rings and across tyre cassette. Awkward and not quick to get the right gear I think. Perhaps I could sit in the smaller ring.and change the cassettes but I just find it no good.
  • 34 front to 32ish on the back would be a good change. If you're interested I have a clean low miler 5600GS rear derailleur you can have for a tenner incl P&P (assuming you're in the UK). Otherwise the Tiagra 4601GS would do the job for £20 new.

Thanks, but I think the 5600GS only takes up to 28t?
    Keezx wrote:
    CUT
    I tend to us big ring with the larger 5 cogs in the cassette for most of my riding but towing I find I need to switch between the two chainset rings and across tyre cassette. Awkward and not quick to get the right gear I think. Perhaps I could sit in the smaller <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">ring.and</span> change the cassettes but I just find it no good.

Youér a candidate for a triple front with a 26 granny ring.
    For towing use the middle ring 39 to 42.
    With a 12 -26 cassette you're the man.

Hehe I've been very tempted to change the front. That might be on the cards :D
    My bike has 50-34 chainset and 11-25 cassette. Tiagra sort cage derailleur. I consider new cassette is needed but short cage derailleur is only <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">good.to</span> 27T cassette, perhaps 28 but not 30 or 32. BTW I struggled with finding anything other than 11-25. 12- 28 or 30T.

Advice I've been given says the 50-34T compact chainset is more likely to cope with a 28T <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">big.cog</span> and the short cage derailleur. There could be issues with crossing of the chain and the chain may need more links.

BTW I'm no expert but I've been researching the same thing. I need to adjust my gearing when <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">loaded.up</span> and/or towing a trailer. I'm kind of needing the gearing to be adjusted slightly lower. I tend to us big ring with the larger 5 cogs in the cassette for most of my riding but towing I find I need to switch between the two chainset rings and across tyre cassette. Awkward and not quick to get the right gear I think. Perhaps I could sit in the smaller <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">ring.and</span> change the cassettes but I just find it no good.

Evans seem to sell quite a few 11-32 but 11 gear ones.

Tbh, I've been very tempted to go for a Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Speed derailleur couple with a Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 Speed Cassette.

Am I right in thinking that when wanting to make such a change, that you don't have to take any other components into consideration? Cheers

Edit:- It's also if going to a 32 will make that much of a difference (14% compared with 28t I think) or try and go for an 11-34T
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    Oops. Sorry about that. It's sat in a drawer next to a 6800GS which def goes to 32 and I presumed being the same arm length that the 5600GS would also go out that far.

If you go to 6800 mech then you'll need a shifter and probably a new back wheel as 11S cassettes are about 2.5mm wider.
  • Oops. Sorry about that. It's sat in a drawer next to a 6800GS which def goes to 32 and I presumed being the same arm length that the 5600GS would also go out that far.

If you go to 6800 mech then you'll need a shifter and probably a new back wheel as 11S cassettes are about 2.5mm wider.

Thanks for letting me know. Hmm that's a pain that you have to change the shifter too. Going to have a rethink. I quite like the Alex Rims so may stay with a 10speed. I had considered 11-36T or 12-36T (SRAM do one) but I think that might be a bit overkill!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    If you are staying with 10sp, carry out the mod that redbikejohn has made in the thread post referred to by Bobbinogs above, and see how you get on.
  • If you are staying with 10sp, carry out the mod that redbikejohn has made in the thread post referred to by Bobbinogs above, and see how you get on.

Thanks for the reply. I've definitely been considering this option. Sadly itdoesn't look like Shimano do any cassettes that are 12-32 or 12-34 :\
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,445
    If you are staying with 10sp, carry out the mod that redbikejohn has made in the thread post referred to by Bobbinogs above, and see how you get on.

Thanks for the reply. I've definitely been considering this option. Sadly itdoesn't look like Shimano do any cassettes that are 12-32 or 12-34 :\

This : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-hg81-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod52312

Mountain bike cassette will work just as well. Edit: you might have to use a MTB rear derailleur but as you need a new one anyway it shouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219

SRAM do a 10sp 12-32T model number PG 1050 https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-pg-1050-cassette

If you are going to fit a MTB RD so that you can go lower than a 32T sprocket, be aware that you will need a 9 speed MTB RD, not a 10speed MTB RD, to work with your 10 speed STI. As mentioned in this thread viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12583566&start=160 on pages 8, (gixxerboss) 9 and 12, (John.T).
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Tregaurd wrote:
    I'm finding that I'm bottoming out quite a lot an spending too long on the lowest gear. It just feels like I need a few more lower gears and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few changes please?
    OK, Im trying to understand what your exact issue here is, before offering advice, so....

1) By "bottoming out" do you mean running out of rear cogs whilst using the 50T front chainring, OR do you man having to use the 34F with the 28R and still wanting a lower gear ?

2)Similarly, by "spending too long on the lowest gear", do you mean :

....A) Too long in the 50F-28R ratio?

.... B)Simply using the 34F ring too much of the time (irrespective of which rear cog )?

.... C)Too often using the 34F-28R combination specifically ?
  • If you are staying with 10sp, carry out the mod that redbikejohn has made in the thread post referred to by Bobbinogs above, and see how you get on.

This : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-slx-hg81-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod52312

Mountain bike cassette will work just as well. Edit: you might have to use a MTB rear derailleur but as you need a new one anyway it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. I've made a note of this and will definitely consider it :)
    DJ58 wrote:
    Treguard[/url]"]
    DJ58[/url]"]If you are staying with 10sp, carry out the mod that redbikejohn has made in the thread post referred to by Bobbinogs above, and see how you get on.

SRAM do a 10sp 12-32T model number PG 1050 <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-pg-1050-cassette</span&gt;

If you are going to fit a MTB RD so that you can go lower than a 32T sprocket, be aware that you will need a 9 speed MTB RD, not a 10speed MTB RD, to work with your 10 speed STI. As mentioned in this thread <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12583566&start=160</span&gt; on pages 8, (gixxerboss) 9 and 12, (John.T).

Ah the PG1050 was one that I checked out. 12-32 in fairness will probably be ideal as the 28t just doesn't feel like enough on most of the hills around here. I must admit, I'd probably prefer sticking with a 10 speed though so will just have to train harder if 32T is as low as I can go :)
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Tregaurd wrote:
    OK, Im trying to understand what your exact issue here is, before offering advice, so....

1) By "bottoming out" do you mean running out of rear cogs whilst using the 50T front chainring, OR do you man having to use the 34F with the 28R and still wanting a lower gear ?

2)Similarly, by "spending too long on the lowest gear", do you mean :

....A) Too long in the 50F-28R ratio?

.... B)Simply using the 34F ring too much of the time (irrespective of which rear cog )?

.... C)Too often using the 34F-28R combination specifically ?

Apologies, by bottoming out, I just mean that I'm running out of rear cogs whilst using the 34T chainring on climbs and when carrying heavy loads (too long in the 34F 28R). If honest, I've never ran out of cogs on the 50T and never get into the highest gear at the rear on that.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    New rear mech and SRAM 11-32 cassette looks like the immediate answer then. You can actually get a 33T 110bcd chain ring for the front (as well as changing cassette), but that might mean losing the 50T in favour of a 46 or 48 to keep the differnce between rings under 16.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    New rear mech and SRAM 11-32 cassette looks like the immediate answer then. You can actually get a 33T 110bcd chain ring for the front (as well as changing cassette), but that might mean losing the 50T in favour of a 46 or 48 to keep the differnce between rings under 16.

I would go SRAM PG 1050 12-32T since the Op doesn't appear to need to keep a 50/11 top gear. Running a 12-32 should give an extra gear (a 14 instead of the 11) where it would at least get some use.
  • Hi all. Just to let you know that initially I ordered an SRAM PG1050 12-32, however the company sent the wrong one (PG1030 11-32). To be honest, I think I'll still give this one a go as it seems to get comparatively good reviews to the PG1050 (and there don't really seem to be any major differences - weight is even near the same at 3g difference).
    COupled that with the Shimano RD5701 (medium cage). The belief of the LBS was that the PG1030 being heavier would be a better build and last longer than the 1050/1070 - I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this online if honest.

It shifts and rides a hell of a lot nicer than what was on there before. I'm not sure if Evans got the specs wrong, or someone there swapped the rear cassette out, but it actually looks like it was a Shimano CS4600 on there originally. Pretty cheap considering the other components in there.

The chain also had to be changed - it's still a KMC one, so same make as before.