Mavic Warranty

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 680
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi

My Canyon has been in the lbs this week having some bearings replaced, they’ve also noticed the rim on my front wheel (Ksyrium Elite S) is starting to go.

They’ve done 7000 miles so some wear & tear expected.

However, my 2 year warranty, which I think I have, runs out this time next month. Am I likely to get far with Mavic if I get in touch with them about fixing it for free?

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depends what exactly is meant by "starting to go". If the rim is cracking around the spoke holes then yes, you should have a warranty claim. If they mean that the braking track is worn dangerously thin then no, they'll say that's wear and tear.

Since you refer to the front wheel I'm thinking the latter? (Front wheel should do most of the braking, and cracking usually appears at the drive side rear spoke holes first)

Wearing out a rim in 7000 miles would be quite impressive but not impossible though. Do you do a lot of stop-start riding like a busy commute? Are you a heavier rider / do a lot of descending in the wet on roads covered in gritty filth?

I'm the opposite of most of those; fairly light, all leisure riding on quiet, gently undulating roads and hardly ever brake. I do still go out in the wet though. My first bike came with RS10s that I'm still riding 8 years on; all the wear indicators are still visible. Not sure of the mileage since I now have a second bike, but probably in excess of 15,000?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Hi

My Canyon has been in the lbs this week having some bearings replaced, they’ve also noticed the rim on my front wheel (Ksyrium Elite S) is starting to go.

However, my 2 year warranty, which I think I have, runs out this time next month. Am I likely to get far with Mavic if I get in touch with them about fixing it for free?

Thanks

If it is rim wear, no chance and it would be very cheeky even to ask them.

The wear could be partly be due to using hard compound brake pads. It might be worth looking at softer brake pads such as SwissStop Black in future to prolong the rim life.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    Hi

Thanks

If it is rim wear, no chance and it would be very cheeky even to ask them.

The wear could be partly be due to using hard compound brake pads. It might be worth looking at softer brake pads such as SwissStop Black in future to prolong the rim life.

I've had SS Black on them for the last 5k miles.