Tyres for the Alps & UK winter?

robthehungrymonkey
robthehungrymonkey Posts: 616
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey there,

At the moment, i've got some cross country light-weight tyres on the bike (650B). I'm planning a trip to Chamonix in the summer and will need something a bit more meaty for those rocky downhill runs.

Question is, is it worth my buying them now and riding them through a UK winter as they'd have a more aggressive, mud friendly tread than what I currently have? And also, any recomendations for tyres would be great!
http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wouldn't be suggesting the same tyres for a dry Chamonix in summer and a wet muddy UK winter......especially knowing how muddy it is locally right now!

What bike is it? That will give a clue as to a better possible compromise.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I wouldn't be suggesting the same tyres for a dry Chamonix in summer and a wet muddy UK winter......especially knowing how muddy it is locally right now!

What bike is it? That will give a clue as to a better possible compromise.

It's actually on my girlfriends bike, it's a boardman hardtail. Been looking at the Schwalbe Magic Mary's. Seem to be very well thought of as all-round tyres. She won't be going mad in Cham, but she does like the flowy, fast downhills... Spent a lot of time in Cham in the winter, but never ridden there in the summer. I know roughly what to expect though.
  • The Rookie
    The Mary's are an Enduro tyre, even lightweight DH, but they are a slug on the flat or ups. A wider Nic would be a better compromise tyre and better suited to a Boardman HT. Alternatively consider a High Roller front and something faster rolling in the rear like an Ardent.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For UK winter you want soft compounds and big knobbles. For summer alpine trails you want hard compounds and almost slick.
  • The Rookie
    Agreed, what I said in the first post.

You'd rip a Mary to shreds in Chamonix, soft and big lugs.

As your in Leam I have a pair of Michelin Dry Mountain 2's which would be ideal for Chamonix, reasonably light folders, happy to sell or 'rent' if it makes life easier and get some tyres suitable to local winter riding.
  • Thanks for the advice, I thought a big downhill type tyre is what you'd want in Cham. I know Dan Atherton races on a mud tyre for all races.
    The Mary's are an Enduro tyre

Why is an Enduro tyre a bad idea? I kind of assumed it would offer decent protection. I was thinking the tougher, dual-ply, Super Gravity carcass.
    better suited to a Boardman HT

Already got some very light cross country tyres that probably "suit" the rest of the bike. I'm just worried about protection from rocks etc.
    As your in Leam I have a pair of Michelin Dry Mountain 2's which would be ideal for Chamonix, reasonably light folders, happy to sell or 'rent' if it makes life easier and get some tyres suitable to local winter riding.
    I may take you up on that, how much are you looking for them?
  • The Rookie
    You have a PM.

AN Enduro tyre is a good idea for Enduro, no point lugging the extra weight around on a bike that isn't really going to use it though!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You'd probably have zero (or less) mud clearance with a muddy magic on a Boardman.
    Dan Atherton might use mud tyres in most conditions but he doesn't pay for them and doesn't care if they only last a day.
    Last summer my mate destroyed a Schwalbe Hans Dampf in two days. Thats £20 a day just in rear tyres!