Bib shorts, Rapha V Castelli Aero, Sizing

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Not a debate about kit just a simple how do the sizes compare.

I tend to use Rapha medium Pro Team bib shorts but new team kit is Castelli.

First off, are the sizing charts from Castelli true? If not any suggestions as a matching size for the aero short please? As I said I am a Medium in Rapha (just over the small due to fat legs, damn the rugby/skiing days).

No I cannot try any kit on as I am working miles away from the samples amongst other reasons

Thanks in advance
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• I'm a medium in Castelli/Sportful, but Small in Rapha.

Think you'd be medium/large in Castelli.

Did just buy some funky R&D Sportful winter tights though (very nice and discounted), and their Medium came up a bit smaller than others.
  • At 36" waist I am:

Assos Large
    Rapha Classic Large
    Rapha Pro Team XL
    Castelli Bibtights XL

Now, Castelli Aero, also XL, just like the bibtights, but they feel SO much tighter. So I once tried an XXL, better in terms of being more comfortable in the gentlemen's sausage area, but they came down below my knees.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Flâneur
    Thanks Bern, suggests the sizing guide of a small could be out.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    My Large Rapha Team shorts are a touch baggy and my Large Castelli Free Aeros are a bit too snug.
    So I am a L in Rapha and XL in Castelli. Maybe 1/2 size in it. PS - The Castellis are better in my opinion.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I am one size bigger in Castelli than Rapha.

I blame skinny Italians.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Flan - I am also a medium in PT bibs (6ft, 36 chest, 31 waist, 72kg).

I used to have a pair of the Castelli Free Aero Race bibs in medium as well and would say that they come up a tiny bit smaller - but in a good way. Slightly more compression on the legs and a more snug fit with the shoulder straps.

As with PB - I also preferred the Castelli FAR bibs, but was never a huge fan of the logos.
  • Flâneur
    Thanks everyone,

Cori, very handy, I am shorter than you (5'10) and slightly wider in the chest (38") but otherwise same waist and bounce around that weight (69-73kg).

PB that is a call that now makes me want to buy them just to see, as I always come back to PT shorts.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    Thanks everyone,

Cori, very handy, I am shorter than you (5'10) and slightly wider in the chest (38") but otherwise same waist and bounce around that weight (69-73kg).

PB that is a call that now makes me want to buy them just to see, as I always come back to PT shorts.
    My shorts are tight round the thighs. Same as you.
    If your Raphas are tight, go up a size. If they are loose, try the same size. The tightness doesn't feel bad on the bike.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I'm going to buck the trend here :lol:

I have XXL in both Free Aero and Rapha Pro Team. The Pro Teams are much tighter, significantly so, very compression like whereas the Free Aeros are much looser. Also the straps on the Castelli seem to stretch more too and don't necessarily keep the pad in place. I am phasing out my Free Aeros and will gradually replace with Pro Teams as I prefer the snugger fit.
  • the castelli size chart is MAXIMUM size.

Eg If an XL Jersey in Castelli claims 105cm, then 105 chest measurement is the maximum sized chest that will fit (probably uncomfortably tight).

I would say Rapha Medium = Large Castelli.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers for all the advice.

Ordered a pair of size L to try, small amount of give on the shoulders and waist, but possibly not on the legs. Smack bang between the two on the sizing chart. Probably go with the L to be safe, but damn tempted to know how the medium fits lol
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy